2 newbie questions about computer hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry Grim... thinking does get easier as you get more practice at it... LOL

No sweat. Sometimes I try to be too basic and confuse the matter.

AGP is being phased out,
PCI-E holds a real small portion of the market right now. AGP is by far the more popular way still. It will take atleast 2 years before you start seeing AGP really being phased out, so there really is no need for him to go PCI-E quite yet.

It will take atleast 2 years before you start seeing AGP really being phased out,

You are right on that, Nubius.

Thanks trotter that increased my confidence

What? Can't amigos rag each other? At least you saw what everyone was talking about. I usually blather on blind to the obvious...

well what is the difference between AGP and PCI-E as in Pros and cons? Thanks trotter that increased my confidence
Basically PCI-E is cheaper and has more bandwidth than AGP.

well what is the difference between AGP and PCI-E as in Pros and cons?
Not a lot except for what gaara said. PCI-E is cheaper in most cases than not. Also people will like to tag on 'its futureproof' but, by the time AGP is 'phased out' you will be upgrading regardless. It has room for more bandwidth but currently there isn't a card on the market that actually utilizes all that extra PCI-E bandwidth and is basically no better than AGP

whoa, thanks for all of the replies!

how much more is a socket 939 than a 754? and as for the 120 gig HD, i'm on an 80 gig right now, and i'm fine, i wont be putting anything cept maybe 2 or 3 games.

i'd like pci-e, but its more $$,

edit; oh yes, so would i need a heatsink if i get the retail box of the CPU

A heatsink basically conducts heat amazingly well. it takes all the heat from the tiny processor and absorbs it into the heatsink. The heatsink had a huge surface area because of all the fins, so the heat has much more area to dissapate into the surrounding air than if it was just the processor. The fan helps to keep the warm air that is around the heatsink flowing so more heat can can get out.

retail comes with a heatsink, but they are not very good. If you are overclocking get a after market one.

oh i wont be overclocking

EDIT: well, looking up at sport's specs, and him OC'ing from 3200 to 3500+.. i might :) i'd like to OC up to the point where i wont need a water cooling, i dont want to get into that mess

dumb question, but OC'ing is legal right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom