Leaving computer on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbwest

Baseband Member
I leaving the computer on over-night and only turning it off every few days a really bad idea??

Also what things will keep my PC in "good health" for longer?

Thanks in advance!!

Leaving it on will help it last longer believe it or not. Parts get most damage by being turned on and off, heating up and cooling down.

My pc is on 24/7

Rayne said:
Leaving it on will help it last longer believe it or not. Parts get most damage by being turned on and off, heating up and cooling down.

My pc is on 24/7

Totally, except i turned mine off every like 3-4 days cause of that crappy 8500 i had making dam noise but NOT ANYMORE:D .

sometimes i leave it on to test it's stability

if your comp is not in a room you sleep in, you should consider leaving it on

I'm a bit of a paranoid person too, there seems to be lots of wires, im worried it might set on fire.

Any other ideas for making it last longer?

thanks again

Ive gotten used to a lot of noise in my room... But i have to turn off ALL lights in my room, like LED's..... Any kind of light wakes me...

I usually turn my computer off every night. Should i start leaving it on more? Does it really do more harm to turn it off, than to leave it on? i sleep in the same room as my computer, but i can sleep through ANYTHING! i need 3 alarms, PLUS 2 screaming parents to wake me up. My computer isn't loud, anyways.

It's like a cars engine. The turning it on process hurts the engine the most. Same goes for CPU's. Although it's widely debated, technically leaving it on would be most beneficial. Of course for system speed and whatnot, a restart is generally suggested just to free up your RAM and things like that

You my friend sound like me, but it takes amanda scratching at my back to wake me... Anyways the reason it last's longer if you leave it on is because the parts dont have to "contract" because of them cooling back down.... Heat = Expansion, Cold = Contraction, you keep turning it on and off and it keeps expanding and contracting causing damage over time, and when you do leave it on at night if not doing anything, it will just sit there and Idle and stay at a decent temp.... and them wires will not catch on fire.... Takes very high temps or a lot of shortage to catch them on fire....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom