noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimReaper23

Fully Optimized
OK you run 3 hardrives with raid correct? also how is this so cause on a cable it only has primary and secondary how would I do this?

GrimReaper23 said:
OK you run 3 hardrives with raid correct? also how is this so cause on a cable it only has primary and secondary how would I do this?

uh isn't raid SATA

the cable you're referring to is IDE

I don't believe IDE supports RAID with more than 2 drives. I dunno about SATA. SCSI supports anything. Ofcourse I am a complete n00b on RAID.

I could be wrong, but I thing you have to have a seperate card to have more than two IDE drives in RAID. SATA is a different story.

Grim, I think you need drive 1 and drive 2 to be the same size (gigs) set in Raid0, and the third drive set as RAID1 to mirror what is written to the first two.

RAID requires 2+ hard drives depending on what RAID level is used. (0, 1 = 2+, 3,4,5 = 3+) Either IDE or SATA. IDE supports only two devices per channel. SATA is one device per channel and uses different cables than IDE. The maximum number of devices in any given hardware RAID array depend on the controler. You can create arrays of arrays for greater numbers of devices, but this isn't common in the consumer arena.

GrimReaper23 said:
ok so lets say I was gonna get two 80 gig exact and another 40. and I need to buy a raid controller?

You would need to get a RAID controler only if you wanted to do RAID. You may have RAID 0 and 1 built into your mobo.

It all depends on your mobo. If you get IDE drives, 2 IDE channels will cover that plus a CD/DVD drive. If you get SATA, you'll need to make sure it can support 3 or more devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom