Norton Ghost clone doesnt work, "Invalid System Disk" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sport1031

Daemon Poster
I cloned my 6GB hd to an 80GB hd that was limited to 32GB because my system (Windows 98) couldn't handel all 80. I partitioned with FDISK and formatterd with "format c:". I started up and cloned the HD with Norton Ghost making sure to select "Copy Master Boot Record" and "Set Disk Active (for booting OS). After the copy was complete, I switched the jumpers and set new HD to master. Turned on and got "System Disk Error. Replace and press any key." WTF? I put the old drive back in and it booted fine." Put the new drive in = error. Has anybody else had the same probles and has a solution? Any suggestions? Please help!

I dunno how Ghost handles partitions etc, but, try deleting any partitions from the 80GB HD and see if you can get Ghost to use 6GB on te new HD. You can always resize it later with Partition Magic. Maybe it will work. Dunno. Gl.

BTW. It might be better to just load the XP disc and enter recovery console. Use the commands FIXBOOT and bootCFG /rebuild and it should boot.

You did this from a norton boot disk? Or through windows via the ghost program? Your 6GB was the master with windows 98 right? then your slave was the 80GB stoarge drive which you wish to make your primary drive with the OS? Is the 80GB drive brand new? meaning there is no data you wish to save on it? Once I understand how you went about cloning it I can help you better.

80GB was brand new, i just partitioned and formated it. Both drives were slaves because Norton Ghost 9.0 doesnt work with Windows 98. I used the program in Windows XP. (Does the 6GB that I'm cloning have to be the master in order for it to work?)

Later, I reformated the 80GB to see if I could install Win 98. When it did a surface scan, it found a bunch of bad sectors. Counld this be the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom