2 newbie questions about computer hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
1) newbie question, but a cd-rw is fine for loading up cd's and crap (ie. HL2), right? i dont need a cd-rw and a cd drive, do i?

2) what the heck is a heatsink?

i'm not building a computer or anything, but i plan on getting a custom built one on the internet, so i need to know these 2 questions

thanks guys

1. Yes, it does it all.

2. A heatsink is the think that sits on top of your CPU that has all the fins and stuff on it. They can also be found on the processors on graphics cards, and the chipsets on motherboards. The heatsinks on CPUs almost always have a fan on them to help cool them.

Check to see if the cd-rw reads dvd's as I have only seen hl2 in dvd form.

give you a bit of visual aid for the heatsink.

The heatsink is that orange thing with the fan on top of it, (with clear lastic surrounding the fan.)

apcpic8vf.jpg

sorry about the image quality, I just pointed the camera at my pc.

edit: post the specs of the pc that you plan on getting here, with the price, as we will guide you on a better deal. If you feel up to it, you could build yourself one.

thanks guys, thnks for pic

so all i would need is a cdrw

i cant really build one myself, my dad wont let me

i dont have the money yet, so i'll let you know what i plan on getting....i'm getting a job this summer, and make about $850

right now i'm just looking on like www.ibuypower.com and stuff to see what i can get as cheap as i can lol

i'm looking for something that will play the source engine well...

mainly this

amd processer (3000+ or more)
at least 512 pc3200 ram (anymore costs mucho $$$)
agp vid card, maybe 6600gt or 9600xt
at least 60 gig hd

not picky about anything else

like i said, this isnt for a few months

AGP is being phased out, so you may want to go with PCI-e.

Go with a socket 939, not the 754.

Spring for all the HD real estate you can. 120 should be a base minimum in a new system.

512 is a good starting point.

Isn't CPU and processor the same thing trotter? also it would be best if you bought a combo drive that would do everything read dvd's which I believe the cd-rw can't and also burn dvd's

the processor on the graphics card he was saying. My cd-rw reads dvds as well.

you may want to put some more ram in your self, as anouther stick of 512 would go nicely with half life 2.

Although the 9600xt is a good card, the 6600gt is alot better and isn't that much more expensive.

I will never use up my 80gb's of hard drive space, as I format regually, and only have about 2 games on my pc at one time, but you may want to stick your dvd collection on your pc, or have all your games installed on there.

If you can go with socket 939, as the dual channel ram gives it a nice boost.

yeah, try as best you can to get socket 939. the only reason you should get a socket 754 is if you can get it insanely cheap like me. my A64 3200 cost me $95, but its socket 754.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom