Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoEcho421

Daemon Poster
I want to partition my HD for the best performance possible. The HD being partitioned is going to be 120GB and I want to split it up into an OS part, and just one for music and other stuff. Should the os part be big enough to install games on like steam (5gigs) ut04 (5gigs) and doom 3 (a lot) or should i install them onto the other partition that will use the rest of the memory up that the os doesn't take up.

I would branch it out to three parts if possible say 10GB strictly for OS 40GB for games and apps then the rest for C-R-A-P.

Would there ever be any problems with the programs installed on another partition trying to access windows files on the OS partition? Any other questions, comments or conerns?

I partitioned a 40 gig hdd into 10 parts, one partition for each game i own, then 2 realy big ones for backups of my desktop items, like picture folders and video folders, then a big folder for the same stuff but my desktop is linked to that instead of my c drive. So far ive noticed a speed up with my system actully, and ive had no problems so far with my games trying to access the system files it needs....

Yes, it makes it very easy to find my work, and game folders and pictures........ As compared to the massive c drive i have....

You won't notice a big performance increase with partitions.
Programs won't give any trouble if you install them on another partition.

ok, this is just my opinion, but really, partitioning is a joke anymore. C_S -> you need to find a better way to organize. not partitioning... that is a joke!
anymore, using XP, format with NTFS and setup the minimum number of, if any, partitions you need. NTFS proides advanced disc management tools and allows you to do more with discs than FAT32... partitions just don't serve a good purpose anymore aside from backups...
The only reason I have any partitions, 1, is for backing up the OS of my server. All the rest of my drives are full capapcity.
Really, as Major pointed out, there isn't any increase in smaller partitions. There is no reason to do it and it's just a waste to do it.
again, just my opinion...

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom