flashed bios and now i mb is not detecting vidcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmey

Baseband Member
I have a huge problem with my temps like everyone else that has the abit AV8 3rd eye. Ive read the all the threads regarding the temp issue and decided i would try flashing my bios to an older version.i downloaded bios v 14 to 19 and flashed my bios to 14, when i rebooted my computer it turns on but my my motherboard is not detecting my video card now,So than i tried moving my mb jumper to clear my cmos and also tried the moving the jumper on my vid card aswell neither worked.I still have a blank screen.If anyone could help it would be grealty appreciated thanks.

That's not because it's not detecting the video card. Sounds like you had a bad flash, or flashed with the wrong version, so basically you got a nice big paperweight for a motherboard. There's nothing you can do to fix it besides either replacing the mobo, or if the BIOS chip can be removed, buy another BIOS chip and replace it

That's not something you can buy at compusa. It'd be easier to just buy a new motherboard that doesn't have those problems. I'd suggest the gigabyte K8NS series (base/pro/ultra).

Whats the exact model of your motherboard? I may be able to find a spare chip for you, but first I want to know the exact model so I can look up a pic and see if your BIOS chip is even removable, but most newer boards today are.

My extra chip cost $25

EDIT: Also there is a thing called 'BIOS Savior' that you can buy, where you put your BIOS chip into this thing, and plug that savior into your BIOS socket, and it's like having 2 BIOS's in one, so in the case of a bad flash like yours, you can flip a switch and bam you got a working BIOS.

Also with the details of your board, link to the spot where you got this BIOS you flashed with from.

Got the link to the BIOS you chose?

Looking at the BIOS Savior at frozenCPU.com it doesn't have one for anything past socket A :(

Your BIOS chip is replaceable though, it's right above the little POST code indicator. Speaking of which, what code does it give you? I won't know what it means though so you'll have to cross-referance it with your manual. I'll see if I can find a place that carries extra chips

it gives me post code 04, i checked it out in the manual but there isnt a definition for it. i also ordered my bios chip from abit, so hopefully it will be here soon.

i also ordered my bios chip from abit, so hopefully it will be here soon.
Ahh awesome dude. Hope everything works out for you. At the very least you got a spare BIOS chip now. You can do whats called a 'hot flash' but it's kind of risky just because you gotta work in your computer while it's on hence the term 'HOT' flash :p

http://www.techist.com/computer_articles/bios-flashing-recovery.php

I wrote about it there.

Basically you put in the new BIOS, use your floppy and get to just before you actually flash the BIOS....while the computer is on...remove the BIOS chip, put in the old one, then proceed to flash, thus writing over the corrupted flash and fixing the problem. That way you'll have two BIOS chips, but of course if you accidentally spark something while the comps on you've done more damage

Thanks for all the help and info nubius i didnt have a clue as to what the problem was.thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom