CPU Throttling

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3trj

Fully Optimized
OK it turns out my 3Ghz P4 Prescott is throttling. It's not overclocked, I'm using the stock cooler. I think I'm going to get a new fan/heatsink. What would be a good one to get, it's a socket 478.

Thanks in advance.

Right OK thanks. Also, how do I go about removing the thermal pad that came on the stock cooler from the CPU surface? Do I need a special chemical?

Thanks.

At least 70% isopropyl alcohol does the trick. I have also heard some alternatives include Goo-Be-Gone, carburator/engine cleaners, and nail-polish remover.

OK, have I permenantly contaminated the microscopic valleys on the surface by using the thermal pad on the stock cooler I wonder? Will I never be able to remove it all? If this is the case, is it really worth getting a new cooler, and will it make a difference?

From what I know you can never get all the stuff out of the microscopic valleys (at least with thermal compound, not sure about pads). But it is still ok to put some AS5 on top of that after you clean the main stuff off. Just don't put too much. If you get a new cooler it will still make a difference, it's not like the thermal pad ruined your CPU or anything. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom