Laptop Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know. You should seriously consider getting a "cheap" laptop without a lot of bells and whistles and just spending the extra cash towards your desktop. The only reason I am saying this is b/c laptops tend to get stolen damaged more often than a desktop.

I mean, if you are a frequent flier I understand why a kickass laptop would be good. But, when you are in a library trying to study, how often will you want to watch a movie.. or play doom 3.. I'd even go lower than ur $1000 budget if possible.

sony vaio - good for me!! never had any probs and it gets a lot of intensive use - seen me through software engineering degree with no problem - it was a £1000 3 years ago with a 1Ghz processor - probably be much more speed for that price now...

I wouldnt go less than 512 RAM on your lappy.

I bought a Toshiba A60 for $1000 Canadian...about $730 american.

60 Gig HDD
512 RAM
15' XGA
ATI 7000 vid card
Wireless nic
3 USB ports

Thanks for all the help. The Toshiba A60 sounds good....it can be upgraded to 1280MB of Ram. The one I found comes standard with 256, but I want atleast 512. I'm gonna do a bit more research before I decide. Thanks again for all your help. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Try ebay, they got some nice deals there.

Ive been lookin at some dells there, theres one thats $1000 plus shipping and its pretty baddass for that price.

pentium 4 3.06 HT 1mb cache
512 pc2700
60 gig hd
64mb video card (dunno what the brand but its not integrated)
all the goodies from a brand new dell.

Its funny, cuz my friend bout a dell directly from the company, and payed 1200 bux for a 2.6 celeron, 25gb hd and shitty integrated graphics.

About eBay and laptops:

There was a story on the news the other day about a guy who bought a laptop off eBay for $600. When he got it, he started going thru some of the files left on the comp by its previous owner. They all had the name of some lady who had not sold him the laptop. Come to find out, the laptop was stolen. He turned it into the police, but when he contacted PayPal and eBay, they told him that they would not refund his money.

So think before you buy.

well yeah obviously ebays a little more risky, but if u buy a brand new sealed laptop from a reputable store it should be just fine.

my school provides us with dell laptops
i use my laptop more than most people will
the only one (out of 3 in 3 years meaing 2 have broken down beyond repair) which i enjoy is latitude d505, but it has all of the extras so that may be why i like it so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom