dell power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

In Runtime
I have a dell dimension pc - today it wouldn't turn on - does anyone know if there is a way to test the power supply before I spend money on a new one - PS-5021-7D - there are two plugs going to the mother board - i think one of them is the main supply for the board and the other i think is the low voltage control power that goes to the on/off switch - there is no voltage on this - or any of the output plugs - but without the circuit diagram I don't know if there should be without them being plugged in - don't really know about hardware so please help - might save me a few quid.

also - couldn't find a fuse anywhere - are PS normally fused - thought it would have to be near to where the mains live comes in?

I have a voltmeter - there is no voltage on any of the outputs - I just wanted to be sure that this means the PS if broke??

check on the motherboard where the plug from the front button goes into. It plugs into 2 pins. Unplug the power switch and use a screw driver to touch both pins. That is the manual way to turn on a pc. if that doesnt work then you are not getting any power and the go for a replacement PSU. BTW is your dell under warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom