Putting Together my New Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
idiotec said:
How about this. Send them all back and get 2 450gb 7200 drives. RAID them and your bumping the 1TB level ! :D
I't sound pretty cool and you could brag about it, but who needs 1 TB of storage now. I can understand for the future, but future hard drives will be 10K RPM or more.

I wouldn't mind having a little box with 4 250gb hard drives in it. Would make for a mean little storage server :D

I always would worry though, what if you have a 250gb full of info and it dies on you :(

i thought if you put two drives in raid 1 and one crapped out you wouldn't lose any of your work/files...like if i send all drives back and geto two 200gb HD's that'd allow me 200gb of space which is plenty for windows apps and files and if i need storage in the future I can buy a larger drive for backup...so I'll send this stuff back and get two 200gb at 7200rpm and set them in raid 1??? NOt sure how to do that though...

Hey guys...i am returning the three drives back to newegg and just ordered two 200gb seagate drives for a total of 239.40

Should i raid them and if so which style and how do i do that ;) thanks!

yes you could add in another drive later if you needed to. Yes you should RAID them. Use RAID 0 if you want speed, but I one drive dies, you loose everything. Or if you want data protection, use RAID 1 and if one drive dies, just replace it and all your data if safe. You have to RAID them before you install windows in the BIOS I think. Im not really sure either. Check your mobo manuel.

do this...take 2 raptors, then put them in raid0. next you take a mass 7200rpm hdd with sata and you use that as your storage.

put all programs on the raptors and all other stuff on the mass storage.

you can get two mass drives and put them in raid 1. i think if you get a little hdd and use it as a back up drive just incase the raptors crash.

by the way nice setup, almost identical to mine :)

I would use RAID 0, but it depends on how paranoid you are about loosing data and how important the data is. I would just have a real hard time buying 400gb of storage but only getting 200gb out of it. I have never had a hd die on me though. The one in my last computer was over 7 years old and it is still working.

i have...it sucks...lost EVERYTHING. i'll never buy wd again, i've had them die on me left and right...meh.

i have had rather good experiences with western digital, maxtor is the worst in my opinion, worthless hard drives, mine died in a month and maxtor just sent me an apology but nothing done. Western digital sent me a new drive when mine died within 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom