Graphic Cards question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikitaha

Baseband Member
I've a question since i'm not so computer literate.. are all graphic cards universal as in u can put into any com or like ram.. there are different number of pins and u haf to buy accordingly.. Thanz in advance.. :bald:

There's AGP and PCI-e. All AGP cards work in all AGP slots, and the same goes for PCI-e, but AGP won't work in PCI-e and vice versa.

Oh.. okok.. i guess i understand.. but normally a com will only support one or two?? Thanz..

m3trj said:
There's AGP and PCI-e. All AGP cards work in all AGP slots, and the same goes for PCI-e, but AGP won't work in PCI-e and vice versa.

That's right and they will work as long as the gfx card and mobo were made within 5 years of eachother and the slot is the same :)

Okay about the number of cards

In an AGP system: You can usually have 1 AGP card and 1 PCI. You can even run more PCI cards if you really want.

In a PCI-E x16 System: You can run 1 PCI-E card and usually something in a PCI Slot:

In an SLI PCI-E x16 System: You can run 2 PCI-E cards and usually something in the PCI slot.

And the last but weird one, if a PCI-E system with two PCI-E slots, you can run two PCI-E cards in PCI-E x8 mode.

well thoerticaly u could have as many gfx cards as u do slots and i have a mobo with both agp and pci-e16x and pci-e 1x and some normal pci slots i could fill all those with graphics cards if i wanted to but probably wouldnt be smart may cause probales

Re:

Hello,

Some motherboards with AGP ports won't accept some AGP Graphics Cards, because they don't conform to the same AGP Specification.

You can get different AGP Specifications, like you can get different types of RAM. They differ in speeds and volatages. But most modern motherboards can accept any modern AGP graphics card, because they pair in technology available at the time.

if he's computer literate i'm 99.9% sure he has AGP

and a motherboard and support only one AGP card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom