Blargh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Shift

In Runtime
I finally got my new nForce2 mobo, a Leadtek K7NCR18D Pro
I didn't have the cash to buy DDR333 RAM, so i decided to stick with the old RAM i had.
I was assured in a previous thread that the DDR266 RAM i had would work with the Athlon XP 2600+ (FSB333) that i bought.

Unfortunately, the comp won't start.
the fans spin, but no video (and therefore, no visible post)
anyone have any ideas?
could it be the RAM somehow? Maybe a jumper that the manual doesn't mention would fix the problem?
i will wait patiently for your answers.... : /

alright, i just tried putting in my old Duron 1.3Ghz (FSB 200)
it still won't start, even when the CPU runs slower than the RAM instead of faster...
i'm not getting any beeps from the PC speaker, though i'm not even sure they're connected right...(speaker has two connectors, mobo had FOUR pins. : / )
so my guess is a mobo/memory problem.
but how to fix it....?

Well, if your not getting any beeps during post then it's not your memory. (assuming you DID connect your case speaker up correctly).

Did you seat your vid card in the slot correctly?

I think the big part is to make sure your case speaker is connected correctly before anybody can really narrow it down. Those beep codes are a HUGE help in this.

Much more likely that it's a PSU or mobo issue if you aren't getting to POST.

Doublecheck the PSU and go over your jumper settings on the mobo with a fine tooth comb.

Alexander

in this type of situation at work whta we do is first.

try a different video ccard

second, remove pci slow one by one restarting the computer.

-let m eknow how things go,
pm me if it worked

an easy way to test the motherboard. (not fool proof though) is to take the mobo out the case and set in on something anti static. the bag it came in will do. put in cpu, vid card and ram and plug in the power supply. You will have to jump the power switch with a peice of metal. or if the switch from the case can reach or be removed. The manual will tell you which pins is the power swithch. plug the monitor into the vid card. if you get video and post you are ok. this should limit you to the cpu or the ram. if it is just ram you should get beeps. if it is cpu you may not. But this also rules out if you had a short between the case and the motherboard which will cause nothing to happen. only other thing would be try another PS.

hrmm.
i checked the Leadtek site for a BIOS update, and as it turns out, there are updates for crashes caused by the Athlon XP 2600+ and ATi Radeon 7500.
......I have both.
-______________-
i'm going to go flash the BIOS if i can. i'll post and apologize for wasting you guys' time if it works ^^;;;;

blarghjdghsaf
I re-flashed the BIOS.
I can now tell that the speakers are indeed connected right because they let out two long beeps before shutting the computer off.
Micro, you seem to have knowledge on the meaning of these beeps...
What's the problem now?

you are pretty persistant zero, but have you considered that you simply got a bad board? DOA is not too uncommon, (damn you soyo). good luck with your troubleshooting :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom