Help finding CPU monitor program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granitefall

Solid State Member
While I'm playing a full screen game, I keep lagging up so bad I can't even aim, and it's obviously something on my computer using large amounts of CPU. (It's not the game because it's about as graphically unitense as you can get)

I know the first thing you are going to say is "keylogger/spyware" well it's not, because i've scanned with hijackthis, spyblaster, spybot S&D, adaware, microsoft antispy, mcafee antihack, and norton.

So, what I'm looking for is a program that will record the cpu usage of specific programs (as in all running processes) and list it for me later on, a graph would be nice, but I could even deal with plain text.

It needs to list all of the running proccesses and there cpu usage over time.

P.S. I'm running windows xp, with dual Pentium 4 3ghz

SHAWN said:
Task Manager thats built into windows......List your specs please

Task manager lists the overall cpu usage. I need it for specific processes.

I've already listed everything you need above, windows xp, dual pentium 4 3ghz.

What all do you running in the background? Have you checked?

Try this: START--> RUN--> type in "MSCONFIG"--> click the STARTUP tab. Everything that has a checkmark is a program that loads when Windows does. Other than your antivirus, firewall, broadband drivers, and such, you don't need any of it.

After you uncheck all of the non-essentials, click APPLY-->OK--> RESTART. When Windows comes up, a grey box will open (the System Configuration Utility). Check the Do Not Show Me/Do Not Run On Statrtup box and hit OK.

Trotter said:
What all do you running in the background? Have you checked?

Try this: START--> RUN--> type in "MSCONFIG"--> click the STARTUP tab. Everything that has a checkmark is a program that loads when Windows does. Other than your antivirus, firewall, broadband drivers, and such, you don't need any of it.

After you uncheck all of the non-essentials, click APPLY-->OK--> RESTART. When Windows comes up, a grey box will open (the System Configuration Utility). Check the Do Not Show Me/Do Not Run On Statrtup box and hit OK.

If I ran hijack this, then i've viewed my running proccesses.

Moving past that, the programs I have running are neccesary, anti-viruss firewall etc. I would rather not disable them, but if I figure out which one is causing the problem, I can look into solving that problem by closing the program, or changing settings.

Right now I have quite a bit running, but I know that it's just one process causing me the trouble. The only "quick" way i can think of to figure out which one is causing me the problem, is to find a utility like this. (I've installed 8 possible programs so far, and none did what I wanted).

P.S. I've already checked with process guard for anything abnormal. I've also looked in my registery (run). As well as my services and msconfig. (as well as my startup folder)

*** I found the exact program I need... for mac :-( (info below)

Peek-a-Boo Process Information Windows

CPU Usage History Windows and Logging Windows allow you to watch information about individual processes, and even log information to a file if necessary.

You might have to do it the old fashined way, the process
of elimination. Why dont you be the program then, you
answered your own question as to how to find the problem.

Disable everything you dont need, run the game and go from
there. If you are still having problems, it may be game related.
A bad dll file, etc and have nothing to do with another program running. Have you changed the resolution you run the game in?

The problem could be a DirectX version conflict with your video
driver version, again no program is going to answer any of these
questions. And you may not get an answer but if you have only
the essential system running and the game runs fine for you then
that will solve the problem.

Begin to add each program back one at a time and see if you
begin to have problems. Your problem could also be a conflict between a competing program and the game and have nothing
to do with CPU usage.

ImUseless said:
You might have to do it the old fashined way, the process
of elimination.

Granitefall said:
The only "quick" way i can think of to figure out which one is causing me the problem, is to find a utility like this. (I've installed 8 possible programs so far, and none did what I wanted).

And the problem is cpu related because I've looked at the overall cpu usage graphs after it happens, and it spikes when I have the problem.

Granitefall said:
While I'm playing a full screen game, I keep lagging up so bad I can't even aim....

What game are you playing?? Maybe it's related to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom