Half Life 2: ERROR (Memory could not be read)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I'm sorry to all admins for this post, i wasn't sure where to put it. This might be a hardware issue, so i posted it here.

Anyway, I bought HL2 just after it came out. I never installed it until this afternoon. Now that i've got my RIG trick out, i figured it was time.

So here's the problem. Did the whole huge process of installing HL2. Run the game, start a new game, play for about 5 minutes and then I get an error message. "Memory could not be read." Click ok to terminate". So them I start HL2 again, same thing after about 10 minutes. Try running it again. Runs about 2 minutes and locks up PC crashes. Hardboot. Oh, all drivers are updated and current.

So now i search the web for same problems with HL2. I find a few forums where people are swapping RAM around in different slots. So, i try that, 4x512 Corsair XMS Extreme, (same problem).
I reinstall HL2 completely, same problem... I'm haven't a clue at this point.

Here's my specs:
DELL DIMENSION 8300
P4 3.4GHz
(2) 250 SATA SEAGATE HDD's w/NCQ
(4x512) Corsair XMS Extreme
Sapphire Radeon X800XT PE
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Windows Xp Pro SP2

All other NEW games run amazing at highest resolutions without a hicup. (DOOM 3)-(UNREAL2k4)-(FARCRY)

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks for your replay! I've already done those things. That's the first page I actually found in my original search. I've tried just about everything that I can imagine.

I'll keep trying... And post once i've fix it.
Oh, and i will fix it. lol

Not sure but some of the battle.net/blizzard games get an error very similar to that every now and then. Ill give you a link to a page that has some ways to hopefully get rid of the error, now im not sure but they may work with your game. http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=awr0649p

There are nine pages, each one with one thing to try....
Hope it works.........

I also got this error periodically. However, I was able to at least play the game because it only did it once in a while. I searched and searched for a solution and found nothing. sry:(

HAVOC2k5 said:
I'm sorry to all admins for this post, i wasn't sure where to put it. This might be a hardware issue, so i posted it here.
That's okay. All the admins already hate you, and after 98 posts it's usually safe to assume someone's seen the gaming section of this site. :)

HAVOC2k5 said:
Anyway, I bought HL2 just after it came out. I never installed it until this afternoon.
That's sacrilege, dude. We'll pretend we didn't hear that.

HAVOC2k5 said:
So here's the problem.
Really?

HAVOC2k5 said:
Did the whole huge process of installing HL2. Run the game, start a new game, play for about 5 minutes and then I get an error message. "Memory could not be read."
1. Try reinstalling.
2. Make sure you don't have your BIOS set to precache sectors of your RAM.
3. Check your page-file size.
4. Try different RAM.
5. Try moving your RAM around or just running with one stick in.
6. Update all your motherboard drivers and make sure your RAM is exactly compatible with your system.

HAVOC2k5 said:
All other NEW games run amazing at highest resolutions without a hicup. (DOOM 3)-(UNREAL2k4)-(FARCRY)
And all these other games are like HL2 how?

HAVOC2k5 said:
Anyone have a clue?
Nope. Not seen one of those in years...

BTW, your tag's too big. Read the forum rules.

does this happen if you try and change screen resolution and color depth before starting the game? how about cs? as far as that link, dont look so much as the drivers, but more at the later stuff, like clearing out swap files and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom