HIPRO 235W power supply
Floppy drive
CD-RW
PCI Modem
USB1 Satellite modem
Creative RIVA TNT2 AGPx2 graphics card
Creative “Soundblaster” audio PCI card
Windows XP SP2 OS

IÂ’ve tried two different PCI USB2 cards on this box and couldnÂ’t get either to work.
With the card installed (tried three different PCI slots) the system freezes at boot, usually at the sign-on screen but occasionally while icons are loading on the initial windows screen.
I can boot in safe mode, but there’s no information available other than a notice that “there’s a problem with the device and it cannot start”.
I’ve also tried changing IRQ sequence, going from “Auto” to “Manual” selections within BIOS, etc.
Disabled parallel and serial ports in case that might free up IRQ...
All drivers are current according to websites.
IÂ’ve obtained the latest BIOS update.

Anyone else seen this problem or have suggestions?

You checked the IRQ settings, and swapped ports.. But did you verify what if anything was sharing the IRQ resource with the usb controller? Also, disable the onboard usb 1.0, its useless if you have a 2.0 controller. Keep all com/parallel ports disabled. It's possible that 235watts of power just isnt enough to power all your devices. Upgrade your power supply to 350ish.

My problem was the power supply apparently. After disabling the graphics card and the CD-RW and installing the card everything worked as it should. A new PSU will be a lot cheaper than upgrading right now!

I was unable to determine anything about resources used becaused the devices were unable to start... Also tried disabling the on-board USB1. However, when it did work after disabling some of the stuff the USB1 was enabled... I'll have a new PSU tomorrow I hope!

a new psu should do the trick.. does the usb2 pci card have a 5v external power connector on it? It would look like the power plug for a floppy drive.

No external power connection on it. Just one internal USB and four on the exterior face. Why not keep the USB1 ports enabled? I have several (camera, scanner, satellite modem) things that are USB1? Is it possible that having the on-board USB1 enabled will have any effect on the USB2 ports?

All I have right now that I need to use with it is a Epson CX6600 all-in-one and a Hitachi 160G HD in a USB2 kit that has it's own power supply. I've tried the Epson and it's OK, and I think the HD will be??? Hope so anyway.

My choice for a PSU:
BA14356 1 ANTEC TRUE480 480W UL & FCC POWER SUPPLY FOR ATX CASES NO TESTER $84.00 $84.00

from Mwave.com.
This should have me OK with my current case when I DECIDE to upgrade rather than HAVE TO upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom