Putting Together my New Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting idea Sport, what would be the benefit of that. To put it another way, what would be bad about having the three drives with at total of 100gb at 10k RPM and a total of 160gb at 7200 RPM???

What is the advantage in performance in the way you layed out??? Or is that not the case... Thanks in advance guys!

I think 2 hard drives on raid for very important data, like windows/drivers/work would be good if its like raid level 1... I think thats the one where you can have one hard drive fail and just throw in a new one and still have the data, then have a nice hard drive at 7200 RPM on some kind of ATA cable for games/music/video.

Yeh well my thing is i spent 400 bucks for 3 hard drives and I have no problem sending 1, 2 or all 3 back if it is recommended.

I've read on anandtech.com or whatever that site is, that there is noticeable, but not significant difference between 7200 drives and 10k drives.

I am definately looking for performance and stability. I want to import a bunch of videos from VHS and TV, eventually from camcorders, and edit them then author them and burn to DVD. I play minimal games, maybe two. So now I am second guessing my decision to go with two raptor drives, espeically of different sizes...hmm what should I do, they will arrive tomorrow afternoon by 5 p.m. the latest I saw on fedex...should I order one or two other larger 7200 drives, raid them and send these three drives back essentially having a better configuration for less? Thanks in advance...

Conan

my stuff is coming tomorrow evening, i'd like some fast advice being that I'd like to get this all done by saturday!!! THANKS!

I would consider sending back the 36gb raptor, and get another 74gb. You dont even have to right away, but that gives you the option to run them in RAID 0 which increases data transfer rates.

Another option would be sending back both the 36gb raptor and the 160gb drive and getting one bigger data drive, like a 250gb. If you are doing a lot of video editing stuff drive space fills up very quickly.

thanks...i was wondering if it was even necessary to have a raptor.... i spent 400 bucks on 3 drives and feel like i kinda made a hasty decision i def need a lot of space but enough power to work on adobe photoshop, and dvd authoring stuff as well as import videos and record them from tv without dropping frames... any better solutions...it wouldn't hurt to save some dough...

ps, video recording and encoding on your hard drive, is that done by your processor, video card or hard drive....if its not hard drive i just might send em back and get a hugeeeeeeeeeeee hd at 7200rpm

What im wondering is why do you have 2 10K drives of different capacities. If you just using the 10Ks for windows and drivers, you dont need 100GB. Buy of the 36GBs, it will be enough. Or if you want to prevent your data from being lost, buy 2 abd RAID them level 1. If it was me, I would choose either 10K or 7.2K. Then I would go buy 2 drives of it totaling my final capacity and then RAID them level 0. Then partition them according to what I want to put in each partition.

It is quite a waste to have 3 seperate hard drives and not have at least 2 of them RAIDed together. Definitely send one of those raptors back and get another one that matches the other one. Then run the 2 identical raptors in RAID 0 and leave your larger hdd purely for storage.

How about this. Send them all back and get 2 450gb 7200 drives. RAID them and your bumping the 1TB level ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom