building a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2x Seagate Baracuda 200GB Sata drive in RAID 1 or 0
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12302&promoid=1030
129$ Each
Raid for reliability if one goes, the other wont

Corsaid Value Select 2x 512 CL 2.5
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9821&manufacture=CORSAIR&promoid=1030
153$ pair
Cheap fast ram, nuff said

MSI 6600GT PCI-E
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13799&vpn=MS-8983-010&manufacture=MicroStar&promoid=1030
233$
Good video hard will handle today and tommorow's games. Also has dual monitor support as well as hardware DVD decoders. Their are many 6600GT's around and you may wish to get another.

Ultra PS and Case
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1243199&Sku=ULT31556 CASE
75$

Motherboard DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....Y-UT-NF4-ULTRA-D&manufacture=DFI&promoid=1030
180$
Rock solid futureproof motherboard

CPU will be dependant of how much more you have to spend and if you want to overclock.

You still need XP, a few case fans, Drives (CD \ DVD) and a Monitor if you do not have one. Shout back about these. Soundcard is also an option
Rock solid PS and a nice looking case

EDIT: My system is very alike his and mine comes to 900$
You dont need peformance ram unless you plan on doign quite a bit of OC'ing. And we dont have to spend all of your 1.75K right :p

The guy above also didnt remeber HD's and PS

Augsy said:
NP^^

umm i live in ontario canada

15% PST and GST

total budget with tax and everything id say around $2000, dont go over.

If you order fron ncix, you dont get charged PST so it's a good place to buy from :p

Be careful with CanadaComputers and Tigerdirect, they are known to occasionally sell the odd the gray market product. I've bought from CanadaComputers before, and I don't it's much of a problem, but they do have gray market products there so be careful, especially if buying OEM products.

NCIX is good though, never had any problems with them.

Chris, he could save a lot more money to invest in other parts rather than doubling up and trying to RAID, they are tricky to set up, especially for a fairly novice computer builder. I'd only go with one drive, and put more money in the video card or CPU, a second hard drive can be added easily enough later if he wants.

Being from Ontario also, I would never shop at Canada Computers. The service (when you want to exchange stuff etc.) is supposed to be abysimal. I have heard good things about infonec.com and pccanada.com however. I would go down to their stores if possible. This is what i was thinking for myself.. Still researching mind you. I will probably post this on another thread soon enough to get everyone's opinion :)..

In Canadian dollars (final US tally is shown below):

Mobo: K8N NEO4 Platinum Athlon64 Nvidia = $179
CPU: AMD 64 3000+ = $185
RAM: OCZ 2x512 PC3200 Kit 2.5-3-3-7 = $185
Vid card: Leadtek 6600GT = $249 (eVga = $241)
Power supply: NoiseTaker EG495P-VE 485W = $99
Case: $90 (don't know yet)
Case fans: 2 fans = $25
HDD1: 36 GB WD Raptor $139
HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA150 160G w/NCQ = $119, (pccanada.com)
Optical: LG 4163B 16X/8X DVD+RW Dual Layer DVD/RW = $78
Keyboard: $20
Mouse: Logitech MX310 - $29
Modem: Modem [US Robotics 56K v.90 PCI] $19
Floppy: Panasonic 3½ in (1.44Mb) Floppy Disk Drive (pccanada.com) $10

Total = 1426 Cdn $ = 1165 US $
($1426 x1.15 for tax :()

Change the processor as needed. I only went with the 3000+ to keep the cost low. My budget is smaller than yours. And when the FX-55 becomes cheaper in 2 years :), I will just do a straight up swap. lol

I have 2 HDs for one reason. Backup purposes. Raid 1 is too expensive for my taste (e.g. 2x74GB raptors). But, I figured the loading increase by getting a Raptor is too much to ignore. So I have a 36GB Raptor and I will back up the contents of that drive to my 7200rpm every other week. All the non-demanding apps will go in the 7200rpm drive.

But if he has that much money to spend he should learn to setup raid. He doesnt need a more powerful video card. The GT is great for him. The 6800 may even be worse for him since it lacks one of the decoders the 6600GT has for video's.

He still has alot of money for a CPU too :)

You can do just about ANYTHING for 1700, so I would not really worry about it lol, just don't get Alienware® or anything stupid like that, if you don't want to build your own Ibuypower is about the best alternative.

Chankama said:
Being from Ontario also, I would never shop at Canada Computers. The service (when you want to exchange stuff etc.) is supposed to be abysimal. I have heard good things about infonec.com and pccanada.com however. I would go down to their stores if possible. This is what i was thinking for myself.. Still researching mind you. I will probably post this on another thread soon enough to get everyone's opinion :)..

In Canadian dollars (final US tally is shown below):

Mobo: K8N NEO4 Platinum Athlon64 Nvidia = $179
CPU: AMD 64 3000+ = $185
RAM: OCZ 2x512 PC3200 Kit 2.5-3-3-7 = $185
Vid card: Leadtek 6600GT = $249 (eVga = $241)
Power supply: NoiseTaker EG495P-VE 485W = $99
Case: $90 (don't know yet)
Case fans: 2 fans = $25
HDD1: 36 GB WD Raptor $139
HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA150 160G w/NCQ = $119, (pccanada.com)
Optical: LG 4163B 16X/8X DVD+RW Dual Layer DVD/RW = $78
Keyboard: $20
Mouse: Logitech MX310 - $29
Modem: Modem [US Robotics 56K v.90 PCI] $19
Floppy: Panasonic 3½ in (1.44Mb) Floppy Disk Drive (pccanada.com) $10

Total = 1426 Cdn $ = 1165 US $
($1426 x1.15 for tax :()

Change the processor as needed. I only went with the 3000+ to keep the cost low. My budget is smaller than yours. And when the FX-55 becomes cheaper in 2 years :), I will just do a straight up swap. lol

I have 2 HDs for one reason. Backup purposes. Raid 1 is too expensive for my taste (e.g. 2x74GB raptors). But, I figured the loading increase by getting a Raptor is too much to ignore. So I have a 36GB Raptor and I will back up the contents of that drive to my 7200rpm every other week. All the non-demanding apps will go in the 7200rpm drive.

modem??? eh

ur gaming on a new comp with a modem

yea, that makes sense [/sarcasm]

btw you should get a 24pin psu to be sure you won't blow anything

diabloII said:
modem??? eh

ur gaming on a new comp with a modem

yea, that makes sense [/sarcasm]

btw you should get a 24pin psu to be sure you won't blow anything

lol. Man. The mobo comes with 10/100/1000 on it. And this is not a gaming computer only - as in I have to do actual work :p. Sometimes the network I am on stops working. So until they fix it the next morning, I still sortta need to work.. That's where dialup comes in..........

And yeah, the Power supply I listed should be 24-pin v2.0 compliant (it's Enermax).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom