socket 754 obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 754 arent completly going to become obsolete with sempron now moving onto the platform quite a few people will still be intreasted in it but the A64 cpu's line wont carry on past the 3700+.

There is a whitepaper available on the AMD site on how the dual-cores will be released. According to it (I have posted it here elsewhere), AMD will bring out dual-cores on the 940, 939, and 754 platforms.

The 754 is to be the mobile platform, so, no, AMD is not about to drop it. If they are, it has escaped every legitimate news source found on DailyRotation.

I'm a but disappointed that AMD has choosen to use the new mobiles on socket 754. I was considering buying one, although with the limited hypertransport speed, lack of dual channel and lack of 90nm cores, I don't think simply a mobile processor is going to convince me otherwise.

By the way, socket 940 is not Athlon 64. The Opteron is based on socket 940, and in some rare cases, the older FX series. The Opteron is still 64 bit capable though.

By the way, socket 940 is not Athlon 64. The Opteron is based on socket 940, and in some rare cases, the older FX series. The Opteron is still 64 bit capable though.

Yeah, I know. That's why I specifically avoided the use of Athlon64 in my post. I used "dual-core" as a generic term to cover all of the 64-bit platforms.

Not refering to you mate, shoulda quoted the post I was looking at. I was clearing it up anyways, didn't mean to undermind anyone or anything of the sort. ;)

Yeah, but I hope hope HOPE man that those 64-M's will migrate to socket 939...that will be niiiiice....dual cores will be going to servers, then desktops, then mobiles, so I just need me a 90nm dual core socket 939 mobile and I'll be set like the bee's knee's :D

EDIT: Besides it was known from the very beginning socket 754 wouldn't last...that's why everyone here was ALWAYS advised to wait and save money for socket 939

I used to worry about getting a motherboard with a slot/socket type that would become obsolete, because that would prevent me from upgrading the processor. I stopped worrying about it. In building/upgrading my own machines for <more years than I care to admit>, I've only actually upgraded the processor in two motherboards. One was on a laptop, so it was cost effective and the other was a processor I got dirt cheap off of eBay. Usually, by the time I get around to thinking about a processor upgrade, I realize I really want a motherboard upgrade, too. So instead, I get a new motherboard/processor and my old motherboard/processor starts a musical chairs exercise through the other computers in the house. Maybe I'm just not upgrading often enough. (My wife has a significantly contrasting viewpoint to that possibility, however.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom