PLEASE I NEED HELP NOW...I have been up for 6 hours trying to fix this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halvie

Beta member
Ok I just got done building my new pc (amd xp 2500+, ASUS A7V8X-X
mobo, 1 gig 3200 ddr, ati 9800 pro, 80 gig seagate 8 cache....) Everything is going fine, put all the parts in boot the system, put in the system disk. While it is formating I go to the bathroom. When I come back the computer is off. It does turn on but for no longer than 3 seconds, and I must pull out the power cord to get it to do even that. What is wrong.... I really hope nothing is broke...please help me...warcraft 3 is staring at me..

Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the spelling I got up at 4 am to work till 4 pm and have been messing with this ever since...not going to bed till this is fixed

Thanks
Troy

HEllo there, well whatdo you know someone else has the same problem i had. Ok man, well my computer was doing the same thing when i built it a while back, and weirdly enough, it was just one of my cd-roms. the board was so big that one of the cd-roms was justbarly over a capacitar on the top corner of the board, and well it was shorting it out.

Do you have anyhting such as that layout? if so remove it and try again.

and well i did not discover this until i built it outside the case, so takeout the board and set it up on a nice static bag and begin the process of hooking everything up without a case and see if it runs then, if it does, well you have the same problem as me.

But if it is not this , you can always check to see if the ram has any problems. for instance just test one stick, or bankl depending on what way it works i am not sure in oyur case, and see if there is a stick of bad memory.

Check the PSU as well, it may be that, ya never know. and finally check to make sure the cpu is seated properly.

But i htink it is the first thing i told ya. keep me posted, id like to know if it was the same [problem as mine, you can pm me if you wish to ask more questions, id be glad to find out some stuf for you.

I am not getting any beaps...it isn't running long enough for them...or I can not hear them...this is really pissing me off. I just got done taking it apart again.

Btw my ps is 350w...is that underpowerd, and if so could that cause these kinds of problems?

Thanks
Troy

The PSU could definately be causing these issues. If you have access to a multimeter, check the rails make sure they are running in spec.

Something else to try.. The ATX mobos have two pins on the control module that control turning the computer on and off. All the power button does is short those pins. Try takin a screwdriver (or something else that is insulated) and shorting those out manually to see if the computer turns on. If not, then start looking heavily at the PSU. If it does, it could be a problem with the starter switch on the case.

I do think you may be a little underpowered on the CPU. I have almost exactly the same configuration (got Nvidia 5600 rather than an ATI video card, and the deluxe version of the A7N8X mobo) and I'm running a 480w PSU.

To double check the power issue. If you have a slower CPU and video card that the mobo will support, try using those and see if the computer boots. If it boots with the less power hungry components then you definately have your answer.

I had this same problem with a friend of mines PC. It ended up being a combination of power supply and motherboard, but they had an older MSI board that was known for dumping caps and thier PSU was a POS.

Good luck. Let us know what you find..

Alexander

I'll bet it's either a generic power supply or he needs to re-seat the heatsink and fan.

I'll bet Guy's reputation on it. :)

cpu temp?
heh
i gonna have to say the asus series x motherboard /w via chipset and 333 fsb with sdram or ddram is quite a nice motherboard u choose. wait a sec, thats p4,...

i have the exact same mobo as you. i haven't had any problems withit except for grounding it. stupid me. were you lazy and left a riser missing like in the middle of the board? cause the board could be touching the case a little and grounding it. but your best be would to definitely take it all apart. put in your risers all of them, and then start putting it back together. i think i might even take mine apart again. 50% because i'm bored as hell and another 50% because i don't think i have all my screws in real well and it's eating me alive. i travel alot with my pc and i don't want anything coming loose

Hello,

Sounds like an overheating problem to me. As one of the previous replys mentioned, try making sure the heat sink is properly seated. Also check your fans. You might even need to add additional fans for cooling. I had the some kind of problem. I added a PCI card fan and the problem went away.

I'm having a similar prob. I have everything out of my case memory and all, just my cpu is left. I was able to start it 1 time succesfully, then turned it off, and now nothing. It ended up being a cpu seating problem. The problem I have now is that the computer won't come on again. I just can't get the f'n cpu seated right. I originally had a thermalright hs on it and it didn't work, when I put the oem on it worked. I took the oem off and put the thermalright on and still didn't work. I went back to the oem and nothing. This is the second time I have had this problem. I already rma'd one cpu and mobo. The problem must lie in between my psu and the cpu seating problem. I'm using a cheap DURO 400 watt psu and running AMD XP 2800. Could the psu be the problem? I'm thinking 400 is pretty good, but who knows. I'll hit best buy and try another psu if it works I can keep it, if not I can return it. Tell me some ways of getting that damn cpu seated. I even am as far as setting mobo on cardboard and starting with screwdriver, just to make sure it's not shorting out. HELPPP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom