Is my computer damaged? Please look, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypoxia

Beta member
My girlfriend accidentaly set a sub woofer with no magnetic shielding right next to my computer tower for about 10 hours or so. I mean you can see the sub woofer effect the monitor when your holding it from about 8 inches away, so should I be worried about my hard drive? The computer appears to be functioning normally, but still, it would almost seem crazy for it not to be damaged.

I dont think so. check through all of your stuff to make sure nothing is corupted also is your screen messed up all you got to do is deguass it because that happens to me all the time.

Okay thanks, but how exactly do I "check through all of my stuff"?
Like, open up the box or just check files?

Well if the computer is functioning normal, then theres your answer pretty much. Either computers work or they don't, there is no inbetween with 'just a tad bit of damage'

Yea i noticed that newer hard drives dont get much damage from a subwoofers magnet unless its an extremly powerfull one, like my subwoofer can affect the screen 4 foot away, now that will mess it up some. But you can run scandisc and defragmenter to make sure its not damaged to much.

CRT monitors are a LOT different than HDDs, buddy. You can distort most CRT monitors with as little as a fridge magnet. The fact that your monitor is flipping out does not in any way mean that your HDD is flipping out.

Not to mention that there's less metal between the EG-tube of a CRT, than there is between you and the platters of your HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom