Putting Together my New Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan1981

Baseband Member
Whats up again. I ordered the parts and they will be here by Saturday, some the 24th and some the 25th, Im saying saturday as worst case scenario.

Below are my orders, and I am looking for advice on how to go about assembling everything in a logical and efficient manner.

First thing is to put in the PSU i'm assuming, then the processor on the MOBO along with the video card and memory then put that in the case.

Next I assume I would install the (3) hard drives two Raptors and one 7200rpm larger one.

Then I assume I install the HP Lighton technology DVD +- DVD/CD Burner. After which I will close the case, connect my keyboard/mouse and LCD monitor and power it on? So in doing these steps can you give me any advice and specific tips to configure this correctly?

As for the Setup...

Intel Pentium® 4 650 Processor Prescott 3.4GHz, 800MHz
FSB, Socket 775, 2MB Cache

Enermax EG475P-VE SFMA Noisetaker 470W Power Supply for P4 & AMD K8

CASE LL ALU|PC-V1000 BLACK RETAIL

DDRAM 512X2|OCZ PC3500 433M

HD 74GB|WD 10,000RPM 8MB

HD 36GB|WD 10K RPM 8MB

HD 160GB|SEAGAT 8mb

HP 16X IDE DVD+/-RW DVD640I BLK - R

View Sonic |17"LCD VP171B-2 Black

MB ABIT AA8 INTEL 925 ATX

ATI RADN X800XL 256MB

PS...Is it better to leave the drives as separate or should I configure them in RAID

Thanks in advance!!!

Put the PCI/AGP/PCI-E Cards in AFTER you put the motherboard in the case, but do that only after you have the CD/DVD/HDD's installed.
So heres what i normaly do
Step 1: Install PSU into case
Step 2: Install CPU on the motherboard with the heatsink, and install memory onto the motherboard
Step 3: Put motherboard in case after making sure the riser tabs or what ever comes with the case is installed into the correct holes to keep the board from touching the case and shorting it out.
Step 4: Install HDD's/CD/DVD drives, i dont normaly put the IDE/SATA cables.
Step 5: Install PCI/AGP/PCI-E cards.
Step 6: Plug in the IDE/SATA cables alone with the power supply cables.

I usualy add my fans around step 3

i dont think that you can RAID because none of your 3 drives have the same capacity. BTW, why did you buy three HDs with different capacities. Either buy 2 of same (2 74GB raptors or 2 150GB 7200RPMs) and RAID them, or buy one with like 250GB 7,200 RPM. The best would be the 2 Raptors cuz theyre 10000 RPM. Next would be the 2 150s, cuz theyre RAIDed. And last I would pick 1 250GB. There is no point of having 3 HDs in your setup.

Thanks charles...in my setup...do i have everything I need, will the case come with fans or just the case and do I have to purchase them separately?

I purchased three hd for this...I am going to put my programs and windows on the 36 HD, and put my video files for editing and video games on the 74gb HD then when im done editing them and burning them I'll put them on the larger 7400 rpm drive for storage.

So does my setup have everything I need, or am I missing stuff like cables, fans, attachments etc? Or am I good to go, i did my best to see if everything was compatible and I think it is...how do you think this system will do. I am going to be using ATI TV Tuner USB 2.0 to import video from digital cable for movies off HBO, as well as documentaries and stuff from coaxial cable from History channel, then i'll edit it to take out commercials and burn to my DVD Burner. I'll do minor gaming maybe 2 or 3 like Call of Duty, nothing extreme...also basic emailing, web surfing, music/program downloading, powerpoint with inserting video and word document files some adobe photoshop graphics.

Thanks again!

You should have everything but it wouldnt hurt to buy some extra fans for your case..... You might be able to wait for fans, most case's i buy come with atleast one fan... But if it only has 2 i would get more if it can hold more....

what do u think about my reasoning on the hard drive situation? or should i just send back one of em...

ps my case has Cooling System: 2 x 12CM ball bearing fans. Is that fine? ARe HD, VIDEO CARD, and an aftermarket cpu fan necessary

I can understand cpu, how are the fans that come with the new prescott 64 bit processors, anyone know? and i thought the HD's would be more importen than the graphics card because its used constantly, especially if i have three of them,>?

you should send back all of them and get 2 and raid them or get one large one. You can partition them and make seperate partitions for windows, videos, and games. If you need help with this just ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom