Screwing the Network Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
At my school we have a whole bunch of networked or mainframed computers or whatever. And the IT guy sits in his little room monitoring all of us. However he has gone too far! He blocks access to our email accounts, which a lot of us need for carrying out research, and he blocks almost every website, sites such as encarta.com and bbc.com. It has gotten to the point that doing research, assignments, and school work at school using the internet is pointless. Whenever, you go on the net a screen appears saying what we can and can't do, attempting to bypass the security is one of them, does that mean that if we successfully bypass the security we won't get in trouble?! Is there a way to mess with this guy so that I can be a reble and access my emails and encarta.com whenever I want to? :angry:

have you tried to get the teachers to back you up on the need to view certain sites? Might be a better approach.

look, he is doin the job he was given and not on a vendetta. Look, if you want to protect your network, you close off all that isn't absolutly needed, and then open things up as needed if they are safe. it's a good way to keep from neeing to clean viruses off machines daily...

What programs is he using to monitor you?

Is it LanSchool?

If so, i have a great solution

Usually firewall proxies used in schools are not monitored or configured too much by the admin, but by a third party company. It's a company who sets the sites on the list to be blocked, and the admin could have them unblocked at his request.

If he has something like this in place, there is a good chance you will not be able to get around it. And if you do find a way around it, he will prolly see you and there is a better than average chance you will get expelled. I used to try my way around the network at my high school, and I got in some pretty deep trouble. Just go to him and present to him your argument. I totally advise against doing any vigillante work on someone's network. If the network admin knows anything, you WILL get caught.

if you try to bypass the security and mess up you will probably get your school account banned, so before you try that think if its worth the effort, and can you do it first time without getting caught? if not then as "inaris" says telling the teachers is really the best option.

I too am a network administrator and agree that keeping the network safe is priority number one. You block ALL items then when a valid request by the approriate management is made to unblock an object if you find it within reason you unblock as needed. Not unblock all items and block as needed.

You will be surprised how easy we actually are at times ;-) If you simply tell your teacher hey I need to access encarta.com for research then I promise he will talk to his admin and have it unlocked. I had a lady at work who said she needed AIM as this is the way the local chamber of commerce communicated with each other and others in the valley and I had her ask her manager with the request and reason then had the manager come talk to me and I determined this ok and unlocked this user a port on our firewall.

As for the hacking...yes if they have any decent admin they will catch you. Its not worth it..I too got busted for running a group policy killer my senior year and changed all kinds of system settings (hey we were all young and stupid somtime!) and I got red handed caught and dealt with..pooop.

You havnt filled me in anymore

One way besides proxy's to usually get around this kind of stuff, is to do a google search on what you want and click "cached"

Their's also browser in a browser sites

Yeah he doesn't use LanSchool, he uses something called SINA. What does 'Their's also browser in a browser sites' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom