Trying to decide between CPUs...need suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
jono199 said:
AMD is not alot better with games, Intels are just plain better for everything.

I used to use a P4 2.8mhz with 800mhz FSB and now have 'upgraded' to an AMD 64 3500+ and swapped a Radeon 9800pro for a Geforce 6800GT so you would expect a bit of a speed change there in games. Nope the AMD64 has little or no real advantage over the P4, and like people have said intels are better for apps.

AMDs have been hyped upto buggery by everybody with little or no reason and to be fair the processors are much of a muchness in many respects - the only difference is that i trust my old P4 and don't see the improvement with my AMD64.

There is no way that the AMD system shouldn't smoke your old P4.

jono199 said:
AMD is not alot better with games, Intels are just plain better for everything.

I used to use a P4 2.8mhz with 800mhz FSB and now have 'upgraded' to an AMD 64 3500+ and swapped a Radeon 9800pro for a Geforce 6800GT so you would expect a bit of a speed change there in games. Nope the AMD64 has little or no real advantage over the P4, and like people have said intels are better for apps.

AMDs have been hyped upto buggery by everybody with little or no reason and to be fair the processors are much of a muchness in many respects - the only difference is that i trust my old P4 and don't see the improvement with my AMD64.

You my friend are an idiot. Do you even own an AMD Athlon 64bit machine? My cpu kept up with a 2.92 Intel P4 HT cpu easly, Now if i had a little more ram, i could wipe that computer i benched against easier. Maybe you have a high end Pentium 4 cpu and a VERY LOW END amd athlon 64....

But back on topic, i like AMD over intel for almost anything, yes my AMD is slow when working with Word and Excel compared to my friends Intel machines, but im a gamer more than anything and dont do school work on my machines. So if most your work is with aplications then go with an Intel.

Out of all the machines here at the office, mine is a Sempron 3000. The rest are P4s. Mine runs the fastest, and I multiask HEAVILY in my job.

I get a huge kick out of these threads. AMD vs. INTEL (Ones Gaming & Ones Appz) Hahahah.....

Do you people really believe this crap? AMD Markets themselves to gamers and Intel Markets themselves to Business & Personal PC's.
This is were people get this, "I'm a gamer, I'm AMD" vs. "I'm not a gamer, I'm Intel" ideas from.

First of all, "Yes, the CPU is the most important component in a PC." Having a solid, reliable CPU should be everyones number one concern.

IMO = If you are a gamer, (AMD or INTEL) shouldn't really matter as long as the individual processor is SOLID. Where it does matter is in all of the other components. After the CPU, the GFX card should be a main concern. Then the RAM. It also helps to have a fast HDD like a SATA drive with NCQ. Or a 16x DVD drive or 48-52X CD-ROM drive. Don't forget a high quality Audio Card.

My point is don't focus on the CPU for GAMING. Focus on a solid CPU and FOCUS on highend components like a NVIDIA 6800 Ultra or Radeon X800XT PE and oh yeah, get as much DDR as your MOBO can swallow.

Then explain why my AMD has a very slow loading time with microsoft word, and loads halo in a second or to? And vice versa with my pentium 4 machine....

All you little kid's need to grow up:p,Who care's which cpu is better at what ever,It's all up to what you want,If you want amd get it!!!,If you want intel get it!!!,If your computer doe's everything you want it to who give's a crap what cpu it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom