Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

denysy1

Baseband Member
Hello,

A couple of days ago my mp3 player died. That is when I turn it on, it says NO MP3 FILE. But when I connect it to my pc and browse it, all the songs and files I had there before are still there. However I can't access/delete/modify any of them. I also can't put any files onto my mp3 player.
Is there some sort of software that would help me "reset" or reformat my mp3 player? I tried to reformat it but it didn't work...

Denys

P.S. There is a file on the disk, SETTINGS.DAT, of which I have a copy on my hard drive that is functional; so if I reformatted the mp3 player, I will have the files required for it's functionality.

When you mean died as you dropped it? Battery's ran out? Stopped working all of a sudden it worked? How long have you had it for? what brand is it? USB mp3 player? IPod etc..? How big?

My mp3 player is this one. I had it for about four month.
The player itself works (when I turn it on the display lights up and it responds to all the buttons and everything seems to works fine). I didn't drop it or anything, I just turned it on in the morning and it displayed that it was empty. As I said in the first post, it displays that there are no files available, while it is actually full. When I connect it to my pc and browse the files are there (about 25 songs that were loaded on my mp3 player before it stopped working).... however when I try to do anything to those files, the explorer window just freezes.
I tried to reformat, and even downloaded the "Rover special format utilities" from their website, but it still didn't work...

Did you delete any files or folders on the flash memory?
You need to replace them to boot it up and play MP3's.

No I didn't delete anything. I don't even know what flash memory is and how to access it. I did notice that there are two hidden files which are in same directory as other mp3 files. I have a good copy of those files, which were sent to me by some guy that works for the company that made the mp3 player, and I have them right now, but I can't load them or any other files onto my mp3 player...

Did you unplug without following the proper disconnect funtion in windows? I had this happen with my ipod mini and it wouldnt work cause I still had the do not disconnect message on it while it was disconnected..doohhh! I let the batteries run out then plugged it back into my PC and then was able to access the device again and properly dismount it..doubt that will work for you, but hey..

Re:

Hello,

You'd probably want to try formatting your MP3 player first. You should be able to easily access your MP3 player (essentially a flash drive) in My Computer, providing that your PC can detect and install the appropriate drivers- It should as it is a simple plug and play, mass storage device. However, if you have Windows 98 or lower...then you've got to install specific drivers manually.

(Assuming you have XP)...If it shows up as a removable drive in My Computer, then simply right click the drive's icon, select format and simply follow the instuctions.

Here's a note from the manufacturer's website (for SmartDisk Rover MP3 Player):

To reformat Rover:
Use the built-in Windows Format utility, but be sure to select "FAT" (not "FAT32") for the File System. If Windows Format produces an error message like "Windows was unable to complete the format," then you will need to use one of the Rover special format utilities.

Best of luck!

I tried to reformat it but it didn't work. I also downloaded those special format utilities which didn't work either.
I did disconnect the mp3 player from my computer without following the proper disconnect function in windows, but it was long before my problem occurred.

Well... one thing that might suggest what caused the problem is: in the previous night before I discovered the problem, the battery ran out, and I discovered the problem after I put in a new one. Maybe when the power suddenly disappeared some system file or something got corrupted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom