user issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotix

Daemon Poster
is it possible to prevent a user from accessing the start menu in windows xp?? if yes, how??

i also want to prevent users from changing any settings like background etc. or at least, when they make changes the next time they reboot the changes are gone. how do i do that??

what is preventing the computers with service pack 2 from seeing the network, but computers with sp1 can see the computers with sp2??

thanks for all your help.

group policy will do a lot of it. Give me what you want, and I'll give you the settings.
as for the start menu, you would have to limit permissions to it. it's a shell interface to a folder structure, so you just remove the permissions access to the directories, and that should be enough for that.
explain the purpose though, cause I don't understand why...

ok, its a school so i don't want the kids to use certain programs, or make any changes at all to the system.

all they need to do, is have a log on, use ms office, ability to print, and browse the net. they aren't suppose to be saving files unto the hard drive.

so wat i want is just the plain desktop with shortcuts to the programs they need to use. i don't want them to change backgrounds, this kinda setting, that kinda setting. i think u getting the picture.

ok, i'm gonna try out the start menu idea that u gave me, thanks a mil. so wat will happen when the students click on the start button after i do what you told me??

they can open the start menu, but that is all, the rest is not launchable. There is better control in Group policy though. Open GPEDIT.msc and look under userconfig\administrative template\start ment and taskbar as well as desktop.
there you can configure a lot of controls. This can then be applied to the users group if you are running AD and it will be enforced continuously. Very cool stuff.
if you need help, let me know.

thank you so much inaris. that really helped alot. but i have a problem, some of the changes i made, are resetting.

how do i stop that from happening upon reboot??

do you have any group policys that are coming down from a domain?
Also, which policy is it that is doing that?

by the way, i hav a second log on called robotics that i don't want any of the effects to affect.

the computers are on a workgroup, not a domain.
the options to disable start menu icons, like shut down computer and run, those are all back. the cdrom drive is another one (disabled the viewing)
i can't get back into gpedit anymore, i get a restrictions message.

this is soooo coool. even though i lock myself out, its really cool stuff as u said.

well, you need to stup a domain to prevent your self from locking out, or to apply to specific users,but that is for another day...

You can only apply these changes as all or none. it's not an optional thing, when you are in workgroup mode.
I'm not sure on why you are loosing the policy settings, but they should maintain.
I'll keep looking

Ohh man your soo screwed :) once you edit gpedit.msc on a local machine and lock yourself out it is almost impossible to gain control over it again. Reason being it is not user specific, but machine specific so no matter what account you logon with all the settings will be the same. However if the settings are not staying applied Im not sure why you would be locked out of the gpedit.msc program.

I think there is a cool little proggy that will default the gpedit.msc if I recall. However I would Inaris's wisdom and build a DOMAIN with AD then you can thank us all later when you are rolling around in GPO's ;-) GPO via AD is really the way to go as you can apply it to say a student profile named "student" then all the settings under "student" will ONLY be applied for those users. Then you logon as administrator or any other account and none of the settings are there! very cool stuff.

GPEDIT or third party software is the way.

Be advised, that for everything you do their is still a way around it (not including linux CD's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom