Cannot install XP Pro on laptops- Get Krnl386 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillydrop

Beta member
I have installed WinXP Pro on my PC.

I now want to install it onto my two laptops, one is a Toshiba Satellite and the other is a Dell Lattitude.

Both of them meet hardware requirments.
Both of them give me the same error message after popping the WinXP Pro CD in CDROM:
:(
SETUP cased a invalid page fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0002:00007bf8.
:mad:
Can anyone tell me how to get around this problem?

Thanx

try copying the i386 folder to the hard drive and run the set up from their. I dont know if this will help. As SHAWN said try another CD. Its weird its happening on two laptops with the same CD. Maybe reburn the CD?

Yes it is the same cd that I used on the pc, which is why its so puzzling.

To have two laptops reject the same cd is weird. Maybe laptop cd-rom drives can't read XP cd's. It worked fine in the PC, went off without a hitch. I upgraded from win98SE to XP in a snap!

As for the laptops, I cannot even copy from cd. I am currently using a usb cable and PC-Linq software to "transfer" cd files to a folder in laptop and hope that I can start setup from there.

The laptops have those stickers on them about win98 and win2000. Does this mean they are not XP friendly?

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Solution found

SHAWN said:
not much about this on the net. this problem lead me to believe that you have a bad CD. if not try calling microsoft.

I took your advice SHAWN and copied the cd to another one and it worked! I now have XP on my Dell laptop. Haven't tried the Toshiba yet.

I wish you had an account at experts-exchange. They give points there for good advice. I coulda given you 500 points SHAWN.
:)

thanx much

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom