Moving up in the RAID world

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Urge

In Runtime
I currenty have a server that is running Server 2003 and has a SCSI RAID 1. The problem is that we are quickly running out of disk space will be needing more space. It's a PowerEdge 700 with a hotplug backplane and two 146 GB drives. I would need to move up to a RAID 5. Will I have to lose all of the data on the drives and then setup the RAID or is there a way that I can have it reconstruct the data in the new array? It would be nice if I didn't have to reinstall everything.
Are there any other solutions that I could use? This server is a document server and holds all of our client docs. as part of our new "paperless" office so what ever other solution offered needs to be fast because it gets a lot of work. Well, alot by small business standards ;).
Any ideas or inks to info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

well, back up all the data to another server for the duration of the upgrade. once you have the updated RAID hardware in, then move the data back to the system. You just have to make sure that the new array is dentified the same as the other even with the changed size and hardware...

good luck

If you set up your RAID 5 array, you can just copy from your old array. You'll wind up with two homeless drives (your RAID 1 array), but I'm sure you can find use from them elsewhere :) Plus, it would be a good idea to purchase all new drives together to ensure they are identical, as well as a few backup drives should you have a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom