Trying to decide between CPUs...need suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adinu

Baseband Member
In the near future I will be upgrading my computer, mainly a new mobo and cpu. Right now the mobo is still up in the air, as Im still contemplating staying with intel or goin over to amd.

So I was looking around, and for my budget of under $300 for the cpu, I came up with the 2 best ones: skt 939 athlon 64 3500+ and a 640 p4 3.2.

How do these 2 compare, running some games but mostly applications and stuff like that. Im really liking the 2mb cache of the intel over the 512kb of the amd. But I heard good stuff about the winchester core, so now im stuck.

And please, if ur gonna answer, dont be biased towards 1 or the other just cuz thats what u have, please give me useful info if u can.

if your more of an app man, intel is probably more your thing. Intels aren't made for gaming but dont do a bad job at games neway. Seeing as u just run a few games every now n then, intel would be your choice. Don't get me wrong, but AMD's are more for gaming, like intel, they arent too far behind in applications, but intel have the lead there.

Yep, pretty much what he said. AMD is a lot better with games, Intel is a little better with applications. But if your doing mostly applications Intel should be better for you.

AMD is not alot better with games, Intels are just plain better for everything.

I used to use a P4 2.8mhz with 800mhz FSB and now have 'upgraded' to an AMD 64 3500+ and swapped a Radeon 9800pro for a Geforce 6800GT so you would expect a bit of a speed change there in games. Nope the AMD64 has little or no real advantage over the P4, and like people have said intels are better for apps.

AMDs have been hyped upto buggery by everybody with little or no reason and to be fair the processors are much of a muchness in many respects - the only difference is that i trust my old P4 and don't see the improvement with my AMD64.

You obviously do have a speed change expisally with the GT now and a newer chip.

AMD are alot better than gaming, I own multiple PC's that are Intel and AMD. 2 of each that are recent to be exact.

An AMD 3500+ will be good for app's too, and comparing a 3500+ to 3.2ghz intel , the AMD will win at just about anything.

if you are going to wait for few months, then you might get hold of the FX series in this price, as when after mid-05, dual core CPU's emerge, industry will have transistion.

in current situation, AMD is ruling and hopefully will, and Rayne's specs is very good to consider.

and AMD 3500+ will perform about the same as a P4 3.2 in apps. But for gaming, the 3500+ will outperform the 3.2 by a lot. I would suggest 3500+. Considering that athlons are cheaper and will outperfoem in gaming i go with athlon. And the 3500+ and 3.2 will be about same in apps.

jono199 said:
AMD is not alot better with games, Intels are just plain better for everything.

I used to use a P4 2.8mhz with 800mhz FSB and now have 'upgraded' to an AMD 64 3500+ and swapped a Radeon 9800pro for a Geforce 6800GT so you would expect a bit of a speed change there in games. Nope the AMD64 has little or no real advantage over the P4, and like people have said intels are better for apps.

AMDs have been hyped upto buggery by everybody with little or no reason and to be fair the processors are much of a muchness in many respects - the only difference is that i trust my old P4 and don't see the improvement with my AMD64.
Bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom