Networking Win 98 & XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish2284

Baseband Member
Hello, I had a question about networking two computers together. My girlfriend got an old computer from her dad's office. She is only going to use it for small things, writting papers, messing around on the internet, nothing big so we cleaned up the memory and old files and all. It is still running on Windows 98. I am on XP (just to get that out of the way).

Anyways, I have a hub that I know is a working hub. I ran my connection into that, and then from the hub into both computers. I did the network wizard and set everything up and even made the boot disk and installed it all into the Win 98 computer. I obviously have internet, her computer shows that she is connected to the internet but when she goes to open a webpage she cannot do it. Also, we are still unable to access files from each others computers.

Any suggestions?

First do both the PC's have IP addresses in the same range? 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0, on the windows XP PC type in the command prompt ping the address on the Windows 98 PC. Then from the Win98 ping the XP PC. How is the Internet shared Dial-up, ADSL, cable? Does the internet connection run directly into the Xp PC?

dexta182 said:
First do both the PC's have IP addresses in the same range? 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0, on the windows XP PC type in the command prompt ping the address on the Windows 98 PC. Then from the Win98 ping the XP PC. How is the Internet shared Dial-up, ADSL, cable? Does the internet connection run directly into the Xp PC?

I have to appologize, I know very little when it comes to computers, esspecially when it comes to technical areas.

I am running a Soho Basic 208b hub... I have a cable connection through Comcast so I have the cable from the wall going to the modem, then a cable from the modem to slot 1 in the hub, slot 2 on the hub to the XP computer, and slot 3 on the hub to the 98 computer. The hubs lights show internet connection to the 98 computer but the webpages do not load.

How do I enter the command prompt for the ping addresses? I do this on both computers or the XP only? I typed in ipconfig after going to run on both 98 and XP PCs and it flashed on the screen but to fast to read.

Sounds like you need NAT, as cable modems give one IP address to a PC. Easiest way is if the cable modem has a usb, plugged that into your XP pc and share the connection so your XP PC is acting as router. Then your XP pc will give out automattic address. Make sure the 2 PC's are plugged into the switch.

XP IP address command. Click start, run. Type in ipconfig /all and post what addresses it displays.

I typed it in and got the same thing, the screen pops up and loads but as soon as it loads it closes... any ideas?

My modem does have a USB and I do have the cable for it. So I should set up as follows:

Internet from wall to modem
USB from modem to XP PC
(still need the ethernet cable from modem to hub?)
Ethernet cable from hub to XP PC
Ethernet cable from hub to 98 PC
That correct?

OR do i simply run:
internet from wall to modem
USB from modem to XP
ethernet from XP to 98

When I do this I do not get internet on either PC

Also, 2 things.... here are some numbers, if this helps:
XP PC:
IP = 24.14.118.57
Subnet Mask = 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway 24.14.116.1

and to try a couple of different things I put the modems installation disk into the 98 PC and then connected that computer directly to the internet and it still was not getting a connection. It cannot get past the 'detecting proxy settings' stage.

You would save yourself some frustrationa nd have better security if you went and got a router anstead of using a hub. Routers are far better then using a router and easier to setup as well, and they are cheap. I've seen wireless ones for as cheap as $30 USD, these can also be used with wires.
If you choose to stay with the hub you are going to need to lear how to configure the connection. You wil have to setup your XP box as an internet gateway and a DHCP server and then whenever you want to go online with the Win 98 computer the XP system will have to be on as well. With the router this woud not be the case, they woud be independent of each other.
Here is a link that explains the process ore clearly then I can
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Do yoursefl a favor and just buy a router, this is what they are for.

Good luck

Out of curiousity why would the win98PC not get internet when connected directly to the modem?

Some ISP only give out one IP address per cable modem. Check you have no proxy settings on the Windows98 PC. Open Internet Explorer and click tools, internet options, Connection tab, Lan settings. Make sure no proxy is specified. Can you post the model number of the modem?

Try this setup:
Internet from wall to modem
USB from modem to XP PC (no cat5 to hub)
Ethernet cable from hub to XP PC
Ethernet cable from hub to 98 PC
Share Internet on XP PC.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

As The_Urge said get a router, Also give your ISP a call and let them know what your doing and whats the best way to share it between both PC's. I have seen some ISP give out 2 IP address in this situation but very rearly. Using a router you will use your cable modem as a bridge and the router will be the one doing all the work as your modem will just be doing the fowarding. But then again ring your ISP and they can tell you exactly as im sure they have had the same question pop up all the time.

Alright, I appreciate that advice. I will try to set things up that way and see what happens... the model number of the modem is SB5100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom