56k tweaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Switch

Fully Optimized
i'm tired of having a 2.3Kb/s transfer rate when i download. no form of broadband is availible in my town. is there anything that can speed up my transfer rate?

you should be getting atleast 5kb.

have you tried updating the driver on your modem?

are you connecting to a place that supports 56k?

ZeroX said:
you should be getting atleast 5kb.

have you tried updating the driver on your modem?

are you connecting to a place that supports 56k?

Not if he lives in the country. When I was on dial-up I could only get 1.2 KB/sec transfer max. Most of the time, by the time the download finished, it was going about 700 bytes/sec.

Check to see if there is a Wireless ISP available in your town.

i'm thinking that the phone lines themselves can only do 2.5Kb/s and under. wireless isp isn't availible. :(

Maybe you should look into StarBand....

Stay clear of Direcway because they have a cap of 168MB per day which totally defeats the purpose of broadband. Starband has no such cap that I know of.

Hehe, aye.

56k isn't 56k anyway. Before anyone wants to argue, take into account that I aided the business planning of an ISP - I KNOW 56k isn't 56k.

A "56" or "58"k modem can only actually handle 50k. So even if you were sat right ontop of the node, you wouldn't be able to get 56k.

On average, if you're close enough, you'll get between 20 and 40-45.

I do remember seeing something somewhere, it was UK only mind, but it claimed to get you extra speed for £3 more / month. Of course, this couldn't happen, because as I said, modem can only handle 50k.

Surely there's satalite? Granted, it'd cost a friggin fortune, but still well worth it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom