custom built PC, HELP with the config

Status
Not open for further replies.

configurator

Beta member
Hello,

I'm wanting to buy components to build a desktop pc. I'm all confused on what to buy... I've read one too many reviews.
What is the best?
What is the best VALUE?
What works the best?
What is the best performance?
What works well together versus things that DO NOT work together?

Anyway, I see that many of you have pretty cool configurations for your PCs. I think you could really help guide me in my decision process.

I don't mind spending money on the following PC parts:
mobo, memory, an AMD chip, a fast hard drive.

The rest of the components, well, I don't think they are that imporant to me and for my needs. I just want to spend enough money to make the PC work.

If you don't mind, please let me know what you think would be the fastest PC, with lots of performance... with these few requirements.

1) about a 2 gig amd chip
2) a gig of memory
3) a fast mobo and hard drive

I'm not talking about a fast gaming pc, I want a fast data processing pc.

Please also list the places or website where I can buy the PC parts and cost if you have it handy.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

well, you need a power supply, case, processor (if you get retail it comes with heatsink/fan), ram, hard drive, and cd drive. most cases will come with a power supply. and don't forget a motherboard. i messed up when putting mine in (my first time) and i didn't use the risers that came with the case so my mobo was grounded to my case and i was wondering why it wouldn't turn on. lol, they i saw them sitting there. asus motherboards are very good. do you want amd or intel? amd is always cheaper and sometimes faster. i think a xp 2500+ would do for the processor and with the motherboards most have integrated sound which sounds nice. so you'll need a video card. make sure your motherboard supports it. agp 4x, 8x, etc. and everything is ALWAYS easier if you have nice roomy case. you'll often find the best prices here- www.newegg.com and if you need anymore help we're always here. that was just a breif explanation. also, the front panel jumpers are really fun to hook up to. i was real lazy so i didn't mess with the front panel usb and audio. i only hooked up the LEDs and power switches. hehe

ya personally i went with a gaming pc, best i could get with my money... as you said you wanted something for data processing... you may find something in the junkyard that could work better than a lot of the computer you find in office buildings... if you want something to get the job done and no more.. go with a 1gig chip.. 256mb ram maybe 512... a nice mobo, an go for SATA on your hard drive if you'd like, for larger transfer rates... check out asus.com to find a mother board for the basics... otherwise if you do want something with a little umph.. i went with perty much everything at the price breaks... i got the amd 2500 barton.. well check out my specs below for all that, but anyways, you don't need to spend money for data processing, just line up a bunch of kids from your block and tell 'em you'll buy them some ice cream if they help you with some homework hehe.. anyways, i dunno if this helped out, but good luck

my computer is pretty much data processing also. i mean, sure, when i first got it i wanted to see if it oculd play any games. and it can play them, but not in super high definition or anything like that. i pretty much use my computer for the internet, movies, music, and word processing. i'm thinking about getting a new video card soon, something with 128mb. probably a 9600 pro, and 512 more mb of pc2700 ram. it would boost my performance quite a bit. i also do some photoshopping and some video editing so i could use that ram. i also want a video capture card to watch tv from my computer. i have a 21 inch viewable trinitron, no need to let it waste. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom