Fan Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2tiger

Beta member
Hey all,

If you need to know, I built my computer.
450 or 500 (not sure) Watt PS
Asus Motherboard with nForce3 (don't remember model number)
AMD 64 3000+
1024 DDR II Ram @ 400 MHz
250 GB Maxtor drive
200 GB Maxtor drive
16x DVD
52x32x24 CD Burner

I have a problem that has been bugging me for months and would like advise. Whenever I am doing something resource intensive, either by CPU memory or hard drive activity, my computer will make these annoying noises from inside. The fan would whirl up, then die down, then whirl up, on off, on off like ever 2-5 seconds.
much like this below
Whiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllll .................Whiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllll.....
Whiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllll...Whiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllll...

It will keep doing this forever even if I stop it will still do this sometimes every 15-30 seconds. I think it is affecting my mental health, but I like leaving my computer ON 24/7 out of preferably habbit from my college dorm times.

Any advise on to keeping a computer cool, and low noise?

also I need to include that I am a gamer freak, I play a lot of the latest games, that's why I got the specs. I forgot to include my video card which is nVidia GeForce FX 5600 Ultra. I plan on upgrading sometime soon.

The noise you here is just your fan cooling your processor when it gets hot.

You can get a quiter fan if you want, or that one maybee going bad.

You probably have a fan auto control

That means, it speeds up or slows down acording to load/temp.

Yep, Rayne is currect. I would check your Bios. It should have that option there. Im sure thats a stock heatsink too. I wouldent lower it though. Because stock heatsinks arent very good. So that would increase heat. Why dont you get a new heatsink and cpu fan.

My stock HSF is pretty good. My current idle temps are 34 cpu and 27 for the case... MBM 5 used.

Can someone give me the brand name of their heat sink and fan combo that they know is good?

Also, would you think a closed water cooling system would work well for me?

joe2tiger said:
Can someone give me the brand name of their heat sink and fan combo that they know is good?

Also, would you think a closed water cooling system would work well for me?

thermalright XP-90/120 seem to be very good from what i've heard

and water cooling will cost you at least 100-200 dollars, you can probably use that money to upgrade your gfx card

the 120mill zalmans are very nice, id swear by them. Watercooling, nah, stick with air.

You can't get ddr 2 for amd's btw.

I recomend getting a heatsink that has a speed controller so you can keep it quiet when you are not doing anything demanding, and turn it up when you are gaming. Or getting the zalman/thermaltake, and get a fan controller for all your fans.

I would recomend my akasa ak 859, but I don't know the true temperature my cpu is at. It can be very quiet, or when you want, be on full rpm, and be quite noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom