Blank Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scripter

Baseband Member
hooked up an older computer for my brother and it was working fine, one day he turned it off and when he turned it back on nothing shows up on the screen, as if the motherboard wasnt punching out the ram and all that bios crap or if the hard drives are hooked up you know what i mean.

power goes on everything turns on but nothing shows up on the screen. i tried a different monitor and still the same problem so scratch the "bad monitor" idea, the monitors both work on my newer computer so they cant be bad.

second i thought oh probably video card problem, but after trying 3 different video cards and still getting the same results i figured that it wasnt that. plus i tried 2 of the card on my newer computer and they run fine.

ok well i got a new motherboard pretty sweet got everything going but still the same F-ING problem. i am starting to go crazy over here, nothing will work for that computer.

what are the odds that the power supply just isnt doing what it should be doing?

thanks for the help

nah that's the thing, I don't get anything, no post or no sound or nothing.

pc from hell!

When you say "everything turns" do all the fans spin?

How old is the power supply? -take the PS out of the case and unscrew so you can take the top off. Do you see any black stuff ozzing from any of the transistors? Could be a bad PS.

Is the light coming on on your monitor? Does it blink at all when you turn on the PC?

Did you try removing your CMOS battery? (looks like a watch battery on your mobo). Will it start without the battery in place?

I'm willing to bet it's your PS though.

yes the fans work, I just got a brand new motherboard and the same problem. I didnt see any transistors ozzing.

the green light and red light turn on and stuff but it never posts a damn thing.

i mean i even got a new motherboard and tried it with a different power supply and it still doesnt show a thing.

im about to go APE here :)

the thing that gets me is that its doing everything to the NEW motherboard that it has been doing to the old motherboard.

i even went out and bought a new power supply 300watts,
i tried the:

"Remove the board from the case and place it on a hunk of cardboard or something (NON Metal).....leave just the CPU, 1 stick of ram, video card, hard drive attached and test. This is to make sure you don't have a grounding issue."

and nothing different seems to be happening.

if you are interested in the mother board specs here is a link to the one i just got:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=611752&Sku=MBM-7VIW-1600

running/tested

3 different power supplies
radeon 9800
geforce 3 ti 500
some old trident crap card also
windows xp
2 pc 133 ram 256mb each
hard drives are 2 5gigers maxtors

this was just a side computer for my brother and he didnt need anything high tech. so that explains the HDs

i mean i tried pretty much everything

oh by the freaking way. for some reasons this happens on the old mother board and the new motherboard with all 3 power supplies. everything i put in the main power connector nothing happens. i have to pull it out and just slide it in barly and if i am lucky the HD turns on and the fan starts running, and hell maybe the monitor clicks on. WHAT in GODS name is that all about??? i never had this problem before but it seems to me like for some reason the old motherboard and the new one dont like the power supplies that are going inside them.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me with this problem. I have fixed the problem. I am way to embarrased to state what I was doing wrong though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom