Laptop LCD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

southpaw

Beta member
Here is my problem:

Most times when I turn on my Medion Laptop, I see the memory test during the boot sequence and then the screen turns very dark. If I look very closely, I can just make out the Windows logo as it boots. At first I was able to reboot the computer and it would display normally. However, this rarely helps anymore, and the screen stays unbearably dark. Again, the screen is capable of displaying the picture correctly, it just often (most of the time) doesn't. An external monitor works fine.

I figure I will probably have to take my computer in for service due to this problem, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone knows what might be wrong and how much it may cost to fix. Thanks.

The LCD can be problematic even though the laptop can be connected to another screen.....the VGA controller is not the problem...I would contact the manuf. for an RMA (warrenty, etc.)

-Michael

Yeah, unfortunately, it is just out of warrenty. I contacted the manufacturer, and they are going to charge $85 just to send it in. I am hoping to at least have an idea of what might be wrong before I do that.

im 99% sure that the backlight on the LCD has burned out. A lot of people do not know that LCD monitors and screens are measured in hours of use. And are rated for only so many hours. If you get the screen replaced under non-warranty means it is usually as much as the laptop cost in the first place. May be easier to get a new laptop and hook this one up to a CRT, which i bet works and use it as a docked computer. If you have other LCD monitors it is best to make sure that you shut it off when not in use and do not let it sit at screensaver mode, because this also amounts to hours of use. One most newer lcd monitors you can go into the settings and it will show you an hours used count. this is directly related to the time the LCD has been on. Other than that there is probably nothing wrong with the laptopl

Yeah, what he said.

Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor? That'll tell you right there if it's your display or your graphics chip.

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I've hooked it up to an external monitor and it works fine. I was afraid the cost was going to be close to the price of the laptop. I held out a little hope because it at times it produces a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom