SATA and IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

themadgamer

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

I just upgraded my Hard Drive to SATA. Is it possible to still have and IDE as a slave? When I adjusted the jumpers, it overides the SATA settings as soon as I hook it up to IDE 1. I currently have a DVD Rom, and a CD Burner, so I am unable to put it on the secondary IDE.

Any help would be great!

Thank you!

when you connected the ide hard drive to ide1 and set it as master, then booted, what happened? (with the sata connected that has the o/s obviously?)

the ide controller is just a quick way out. im sure its do-able

When I booted it prioritized the IDE as the boot device. When I set the IDE as slave, the computer could not boot to any drive.

So, it has confused me beyond belief :)

Yea, i looked at the boot order and stuff, but it did not really give me many options. Maybe I just need to really pick through the bios, and see what might be hidden.

I would think it would not matter to have both drives...Oh well.

Thanks for the time Shawn

I think this is a common problem, I've had a few cases when I installed Windows it saved certain files to the IDE drive rather than the SATA drive where I wanted them.

The IDE drive should be set to master as it's on its own channel, and the SATA drive should also default as master bacause it's on its own channel. Your optical drives should be set on the secondary IDE bus, with the faster or more commonly used one as master.

Where is your boot sector loaded, I'm assuming it's on the SATA as you want it as the primary drive. I think the easiest solution would be to take out the IDE drive, install Windows on the SATA drive, and then reinstall the IDE drive.

I'm sure its do-able. Wait till someone else gets in here. I could probably do it, however i need to be in front of the machine.

anytime....

Hi Gaara,

My boot device is the SATA.

For some stupid reason, when the IDE is master on the primary, it just wants to boot to it and my machine does not see the SATA.
As soon as I remove the IDE, it works fine. I am wondering if I am missing a setting in the bios or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom