Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Unknown XP crashes

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 07:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
WasTed
Newb Techie

Default 3 Games Crashing to Desktop

similar probs here m8ys, I'm using XP! home. I ve had a Gforce 2 for 12 months on a Sony Vaio PCV 302 2 gig. No problems, i Upgraded to an FX 5800, and have no problems until reciently.

I used to crash out to desk top after an hour or so of play, but this got more frequent. Now it can take 10 minutes. and then straight away after restarting (safe mode or normal) I get the same eror in the CoD demo, of 3DMark03.

I swapped my card for my old Gforce 2 and the problem was resolved. I used my wifes card FX 5600 and the problem was back. The difference was the AGP voltage. I also tried my card in my wifes machine, 3.2 gig advent machine, and it worked fine. Dont dump your cards just yet!!

In XP there is an event viewer, right click MY compter and click manage, you'll see the event viewer option , select applications. Well, i get 2 erros everytime with a resulting event 6 and 7, (0) not very helpful!!

So without resolution to this problem, i ve had to go back to the old Gforce 2. The problem has now serfaced here! ???

Ive changed my memory added new! aswell. (1024)

Ive reistalled my operating system from scratch aswell, Makes no difference. I think it could be a service pack from Microsoft thats done it!! ? maybe.

My wifes machine has also adopted the same symptoms. Same 2 errors too. This is a bigger problem than people will admit. i think its all the same thing, and the sooner we find out what the better. I will post a few links when i find them, about electronic death of motherboards, and AGP voltage. Intersting stuff, but my card Manufacturer doesnt seem to think that uping AGP voltage on the motherboard will fix it.

Hope you guys have some feed back on this.

Regards

ted

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.