64 bit technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
is it true that the intel 6 series doesent have legacy 32 bit emulation? that would make them basically useless for a long time. also when do the 64 bit operating systems come out and what new features will they have? is there a way to get around paying the 500 bucks ;)

I don't know where you get all this bad info. Intel 6 series are not 64 bit only. They will run everything 32 bit just like AMD. Windows 64 bit is expected to be out 4th quarter of this year. Features? It will feature 64 bit operation... A test version for windows 64 bit is already available for download from microsoft's website.
500 bucks for what?

the bad computer information comes from the guy that taught me the basics of computers. he works for my dad, but sometimes i have a feeling he doesent really know what hes talking about. can anyone get the test version? and the same guy said the os will be around 500 bucks

Yes, you can get it here:
https://microsoft.order-9.com/winxp...ategory_name=winxp64&product_id=winxp64&id=dl

I know it looks like an order form thing but it's really free and you only have to fill out the first page. They will only send you one e-mail containing the CD key.

And don't be shy to try the 64 bit operating system. Just make sure all the drivers you want are compatible. Because you see the 64 bit windows will run any 32 bit program without any loss of performance. But it needs to have 64 bit drivers for all your hardware.
I know ATI has 64 bit beta video card drivers, not sure about nvidia but they probably have them too. I know that there are also 64 bit drivers for some RAID devices and for a lot of motherboard devices. But just make sure to search on the net and check to see if every piece of hardware you want to use has 64 bit drivers available. Otherwise it won't work.
If all your hardware in compatible than I would recommend getting the 64 bit windows.

Only thing that stopped me from installing it was a linksys wireless pci card. That was the only component I could not find drivers for.

dude that sucks. you cant use it just because of 1 pc component that isnt even very important. it is necessary though. i got off easy when we got cable internet we put the modem in my room.

hey dale i know this is off topic and i already asked but the answer was kinda unclear.

when you raid 2 hds in raid0 does it only show up as 1 hd? if so can i partition the split up hds so my os will be split into 2 pieces? i want to have fast load times for my os but i want to be able to reformat the hds without loosing the os

Windows will not provide all the drivers

But i found 64bit drivers for my gear, im going 64!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom