my computer can doesnt go past the startup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwbabe

Beta member
my computer doesnt go past the startup!

hi,
when my computer opens it says:
"windows can not open because a file is either missing or corrupted.
to repair put in the setup cd and press "r" for repair"
i can not get pass the startup so i basically cant get into my computer. recovery console is not one of the startup option so i cant do tat. i have already tried safe mode and last known configuration mode several times it diidnt work.
i dont have my cd with me.
does it have to be my cd exactly that i installed the computer with in the first place? or can i use any xp cd?
( i have xp professional and i d/l the sp2 from online) does it have to be a xp professional cd if i just wanna repair it as it tells me to? or can it be a xp home cd?
thanks thanks!
i appreciate your help!
=)

yea, i think one of your windows file is corupted. you can reformat your computer using any xp cd.

ohhh.. so when the computer suggests that use "r" for repair does it mean for me to just reformat my computer?
or is there a difference?

Sometimes I find that if you use the windows xp cd and boot from it, you can repair the instillation (like your going to install it fresh), then it will copy over the windows folder again and you may need to install office again as will need to install Sp2 again. need to use the right cd ie Home or Pro depending on your version, if you have the same copy then no need to worry use the same S/n. I think it goes along the lines off, boot from cd, let it install drivers and stuff, press enter to install XP and it say's already found an OS. Im not to sure though. Give it a try failing that find what files its asking for and copy them back into the same folder.

I THINK you can use an XP Home disk to run the recovery console on an XP Pro installation, someone correct me if I am wrong on this. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, though.

I would go ahead and run the repair console and type bootcfg /rebuild, and then exit the recovery console and see what happens.

To do this, boot from the Windows XP CD (usually you just put it in your cdrom and reboot, and it will give you 5 seconds to "Press any key to boot from CD."). Let it load up, and you will be at a screen that says "Press enter to setup Windows XP now", and after you hit enter, you will be at this screen:

rcons00.gif

Type "R" on your keyboard to enter the recovery console. Now, it will ask you what windows installation you would like to log on to. Normally, you would just type "1" here, unless you have otherwise named it.

Now, you are in the recovery console. Type bootcfg /rebuild as stated above, and press enter. Once it has been rebuilt, type exit and hit enter to exit the recovery console and reboot. This time don't select to boot from the cd, just boot normally from your hard drive and see if it works.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Thanks dexta182 for catching that.

SHAWN said:
Reload would be easier IMO. Good luck

Reformatting should be the last thing you try, there are other ways to fix a computer. :) Plus there could be files that she needs to access.

Reformatting will most likely fix the problem, but be warned that EVERYTHING on your computer will be lost.

AS the pic above, go to 'setup windows xp now', once past that you can do a repair on the windows folder.

(response to Blitze105)
it doesnt tell me what file is missing or corrupted. i cant get past startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom