PCI-e or normal mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerfootball05

In Runtime
I was wondering what the advantage of pci-e is whenh compared to normal and wether or not it would eba good idea for me to get a pci-e board and what to look for.

PCI-E is, I think, might be wrong, but I am pretty sure it has more bandwidth for xfering data than either AGP or regular PCI. PCI-E would be a good thing to go for though, since it looks like only video cards are really benefitting from it, and the graphic cards of today works about the same on both AGP and PCI-E, unless you want SLI its no biggy, but who knows how important it will be soon, so id suggest getting it......

there is no difference in performance between AGP and PCI-E at the moment, as no graphics cards even use all the bandwidth that AGP offers. That will change when more advanced graphics cards come out, that need heaps of bandwidth, so if you dont want to upgrade for a while, go with PCI-E because a PCI-E AMD board will be capable of running dual core 64bit CPU's (when they come out) so if you get one, you will be set for quite a long time.

do you guys recoomend any good pci-e boards?

This is what i'm lookin at:

Abit "AN8" NVIDIA nForce4 Chipset Motherboard

Specifications:
Supported CPU: AMD Athlon 64/64FX 939-pin K8 CPU
Chipset: NVIDIA NF4 single chip
FSB: 2000MHz
RAM: 4x 184-pin DIMM for Dual channel DDR 400/333/266 (Max. 4GB)
IDE: 2x Ultra ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x PCI-E X16, 2x PCI-E X1, 3x PCI, 1x Abit Audio Slot
Ports: 2x PS/2, 1x IEEE1394a, SPDIF In/Out, 10x USB2.0(Rear 4), 1x LAN, Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: 6 Channel Audio
Onboard LAN: Gigabit Ethernet
Onboard 1394: 2x IEEE1394a(Rear 1)
Onboard SATA/RAID: 4x SATA150, RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD

tigerfootball05 said:
i don't want SLI. I thought this mobo was just pci-e....i'm confused.

it's a good mobo, the guy above you was confused and thought it was SLI, but it isn't (also, SLI won't hurt if u plan On upgraDing)

there are 3 versions of the nforce 4 chipset which are used for pci-e on amd motherboards

standard which is slower (1 pci-e slot)

ultra which is faster and has afew extras (1 pci-e slot)

sli which is a ultra but with 2 pci-e slots.

now alot of ppl think that sli isnt gonna last long simply becuase it is so expensive. if u were to get 2 6600gts and run them in sli u might aswel buy a 6800gt, buy 2 6800gts or 6800ultras and ur talkin ALOT of cash.

I think pci-e is well worth it for now. if ur gonna build a new comp ur best of getting a nforce4 ultra board and buying a 6600gt becuase they are good enough to run any game today on top quality and are less than $200. Then i would look to upgrade it to a 512mb graphics card around christmas or early next year, do this and your set.

well thats wat im plannin on doin :p

i'd reccommend just a regular mobo...but tha's just me.
i see no need to spend the extra money right now for a pci-x board.
games don't really take advantage of it right now...and plus, you need to get 2 cards instead of one.....
you've got agp cards such as a 6800 or x800 pro's that can kick some serious arse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom