Video Card Problem- Drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilotwings119

Banned
I'm currently using a nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 64mb PCI video card, and you can see the rest of my computer specs in my sig below. Recently, i've been having some big problems with it. Without notice and out of nowhere, my computer will shut down, restart, completely lock up, or display green tan and white diagonal lines across the whole screen. I'm thinking this has to do my cheapo video card and/or drivers. I have the most recent driver downloaded from nVIDIA.com (the 2000/XP 17mb one), but i cant find any other ones online! I did DxDiag, and it said my video driver was dated December 2004. Can someone please give me suggestions or help me find a driver? Do i just need a whole new video card?

If it just suddenly happened then it's probably not going to be the drivers, it's more likely to be the actual hardware, as you haven't made any changes to the drivers.

i did not make any hardware changes recently- i DID find a more recent driver (LUCKILY) on nvidia.com. The last one i downloaded was 4 months old, and this newer one is 10 days old. I'm going to install it right when i get home, and i'll tell you guys any news. THANKS

So before the problem arised did you install any drivers, or did it just suddenly start happening?

if i remember right, i havent installed any new drivers since about 2 or 3 weeks ago when i updated the video card driver. It was weird before then, and since then.

Today i installed the new nVIDIA driver in safe mode, and it appeared to install correctly. It asked me to restart, so i did. As it was closing windows, it force ended a program called "shouldnt see me". I thought that was very weird.. could this be a virus?? the computer also again restarted and shut all the way off during boot-up one time, and one time right as windows was loading the Login screen. I'm now hoping this is a Power Supply problem. What does everyone think??

I think it all looks a little too messed up, so I'd have a go at reinstalling Windows. It might not be the hardware.

oh gosh... i really dont want to do that! I think i'll wait for the other power supply and test that theory. If it still doesnt work, I'll buy another video card and see if it works then.

BTW- i did try using my spare 4mb AGP graphics card and although no video came up, it did stay powered on for 15 mins or so. With the PCI graphics card in, it boots and usually stays on for no more than 10 mins. I might be heading in the right direction here. Any more suggestions are helpful- thnx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom