Backup, Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
with ghost it will overwrite everything and leave you with 1 partition.
not true. Ghost can write to and from a single partition on a multi partitioned drive. you just need to know how. Ghost isn't designed to be very user friendly. it's a system admins tools that is very powerfull if you know what your doing.
not to insult you, but you don't know what your talking about when it comes to ghost.
I can walk you trough, given the size limitation, creating a bootable DVD or CD with you image on it too. it's actually pretty easy...

Inaris said:
not true. Ghost can write to and from a single partition on a multi partitioned drive. you just need to know how. Ghost isn't designed to be very user friendly. it's a system admins tools that is very powerfull if you know what your doing.
not to insult you, but you don't know what your talking about when it comes to ghost.
I can walk you trough, given the size limitation, creating a bootable DVD or CD with you image on it too. it's actually pretty easy...

only ghost 9 does. but if you have certain progams installed like style xp, it won't work at all

ghost 8 (or 2003) will overwrite the whole partition

ghost 9 is based off Drime Image, by the way

With PowerQuest Drive Image 7 or V2i Protector you can backup your XP drive without rebooting and you can continue working on your computer while it is creating the image.(You need 256MB of RAM)

Eric, no to disagree, but I use Ghost 7 to repartition and image drives running XP. It's a warning label, that is there cause of a change needed to be made with the ghostwalker program. it's a bunch of BS. I have copies of all versions upto the current of ghost, and I can tell you that Ghost works with partions just as well as anything else.
Experince is key... if you have never tried, then don't disagree with me... And not everything is in the documentation either...

Inaris said:
Eric, no to disagree, but I use Ghost 7 to repartition and image drives running XP. It's a warning label, that is there cause of a change needed to be made with the ghostwalker program. it's a bunch of BS. I have copies of all versions upto the current of ghost, and I can tell you that Ghost works with partions just as well as anything else.
Experince is key... if you have never tried, then don't disagree with me... And not everything is in the documentation either...

whatever...

why you think you know everything...

I dare you to uninstall ghost 9, then install 7 or 8

get you one hard drive and make 2 partitions in it

install xp and back up your OS system in the second one

try to restore it, the first thing that will notice is that the 2 partition on that drive will be greyed out, so you only option will be to overwrite the the whole hard drive. Ghost 7 and 8 had this problem. they only worked will physical seperate hard drives not partitions on the same drive. this was a known defect in the program, so you need shut up before making stupid statements.

I was giving you the benefit of doubt at first (thinking that you just didn't know, so I didn't respond back with a smart comment, when you made yours)

call symantec and ask them if you think that I'm lying before putting your foot in your mouth

Look, I'm not going to get into an arguement here as there is not any point to it. As you said you were giving me the benifit of the doubt, but sorry, that isn't possible.
I have been using ghost in enterprise level deployments for the past 5 years if there is something I think I know, It's ghost.

Partition control is possible in 7 and up. I have done it and do it all the time. Due to me being in a remote site, I can't readily do it at the moment, sorry. That's not the point.

Ghost has the options of capturing 1 partion and reapplying to a single partition. How do I know this, cause I have done it. I am the Build and script lead for the site I work at. I create build for 5 different hardware platforms and they are deployed to a total of 2500 machine give or take. The build is done with ghost and is automated to the point, you only have to give a machine name at a prompt and the rest is done for you. Also, the Image once it's completed loading to the primary drive 2nd partition copies down the image files from the DVD to the Primary drive 1st partion where the users can run a process that will reboot their machine and rebuild the computer for them. takes about 30 minutes and they can be back up and running on a fresh build.
The only reason I disagree with you is cause I do what you say can't be on a daily basis. oh, and the whole deployment is done with Ghost 7 enteprise edition too.
I have the other version in test, and for the updated ghostwalker (Windows guid change program) and ghost32.exe (used with WinPE).

Inaris said:
Look, I'm not going to get into an arguement here as there is not any point to it. As you said you were giving me the benifit of the doubt, but sorry, that isn't possible.
I have been using ghost in enterprise level deployments for the past 5 years if there is something I think I know, It's ghost.

I have the other version in test, and for the updated ghostwalker and ghost32.exe...

I don't have the enterprise edition, so I don't know jack about it.

but with the regular version of ghost 7 and 8....

Inaris said:

Partition control is possible in 7 and up. I have done it and do it all the time. Due to me being in a remote site, I can't readily do it at the moment, sorry. That's not the point.

this is true, but only each partition is on a seperate physical disc. norton knew of this defect. it was one one the reason they acquired powerquest.

Inaris said:
Ghost has the options of capturing 1 partion and reapplying to a single partition. How do I know this, cause I have done it. I am the Build and script lead for the site I work at. I create build for 5 different hardware platforms and they are deployed to a total of 2500 machine give or take. The build is done with ghost and is automated to the point, you only have to give a machine name at a prompt and the rest is done for you. Also, the Image once it's completed loading to the primary drive 2nd partition copies down the image files to the Primary drive 1st partion where the users can run a process that will reboot their machine and rebuild the computer on for them.

I also think this is a false statement too. notice I said think. but to my recollection (I've nevered used that function so i'm not sure, but I still have all three versions, so it isn't nothing to install it and check), ghost didn't have that option until it was merged with drive image and v21 protector

Inaris said:
takes about 30 minutes and they can be back up and running.

Once you boot into the cd it take 4-5 minutes to restore 15 gigs of data with drive image 7 or 8

As far as I have read in reviews etc, PowerQuest has always been better at imaging than Symantec (at least before it was taken over by them).

Symantec has aquired PowerQuest, so the latest versions of Ghost use PowerQuest's V2i technology. PQ software developers are now working for Symantec. It wouldn't surprise me if the latest LiveState™ Recovery or Ghost rocks. Note that LiveState™ Recovery is the "new" V2i Protector (for enterprises) and Ghost is the ""new"" Drive Image (for comsumers).

I prefer Drive Image, but I never gave Ghost an indepth try cause I did not like it (I like how user friendly PQ is)

Being able to backup without rebooting or anything is a major advantage to me. I wonder if the latest Symantec programs feature this?

I have been using PQ's products since PM 6 and Drive Image 2000. They always worked perfectly and fast.

I stopped using V2i protector 2.0 cause I prefer a format.

I want to give the latest Symantec products a try, but at the moment my HD's are full and I don't have a lot of free time.

I would also like to compare them(?) thoroughly, but its impossible with the latest products cause everything is Symantec now. Its no PQ vs Symantec anymore. It was for older versions like Ghost 7, Drive Image 2002 etc.

Here's an OLD comparison:

resulta.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom