Raid controller not installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil29

Beta member
Hi guys

I'm a newbie here, so be gentle!

Ok, yesterday I switched on my machine and nothing happened, just greeted with a blank screen, no bootup menu or whirring of HDD. Rebooted 2 mins later, and still nothing. I leave it 2 minutes again and the PC boots. However, while the PC is booting up, I get a message beginning with "Overclocking failed......." can't remember the exact message sorry, but the PC booted up normally. Ok I've never tried overclocking before, so don't know why it's telling me that

Ok, so I restart my Machine, and on bootup I get the message "No drive attached to Fastrack Controller - The BIOS is not installed" When Windows loads, I go into device manager and there's a question mark next to Raid controller I click on it and it tells me "RAID controller not installed"

Until now the PC has worked fine with no problems. Even with this problem, the PC is running fine at the moment. If it's any extra help, for about 5 months a
loud whirring or buzzing (like a motor or fan working) has been coming from the PC, which only lasts for about 5 minutes then goes, this has suddenly stopped altogether. Could this be connected to this problem?

Any help would be appreciated

My System:
ASUS K8V Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000
1 GB Kingston DDR400 RAM
Maxtor 120GB SATA HDD
Radeon 9800XT
Sound Blaster Audigy
10/100 Ethernet card
Window XP (SP1)
DVD ROM drive

If you don't have raid, that comes up.
If you failed because of overclocking the board should take care of it.

You have an Asus board

They have problems with randomly generating "overclocking failed" messages, same thing happens to me.

The raid controller is not installed because you do not use it, and most likely never will.

The whirring noise you hear while booting is the ball bearings in a fan being too small when cold but they heat up to proper size.

However I do not know about the BIOS not installed, but coming from an Asus board, it seems pretty normal.

Even without overclocking, I still get those kind of errors as well.

I had that problem too. Make sure you are running 1008 bios or later.

"No drive attached to Fastrack Controller - The BIOS is not installed"

That comes up because you dont have a RAID device connected. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the prompt reply guys.

Phew bit of a relief actually. Strange how when scanning for IDE devices on bootup, the message about fastrack etc still comes up and RAID hasn't got a driver on device manager?

Still, as long as nothing's broken.

By the way guys, what exactly is RAID?

Thanks again

Phil

Phil29 said:
Thanks for the prompt reply guys.

Phew bit of a relief actually. Strange how when scanning for IDE devices on bootup, the message about fastrack etc still comes up and RAID hasn't got a driver on device manager?

Still, as long as nothing's broken.

By the way guys, what exactly is RAID?

Thanks again

Phil

You can disable your Promise raid controller in bios, should be named something like that.

Rayne said:
"No drive attached to Fastrack Controller - The BIOS is not installed"

That comes up because you dont have a RAID device connected. Nothing to worry about. [/B]

Ok just thinking guys, sorry for being so stooopid, but:

Why now, why tell me now when I've had this system for nearly a year? I've looked at device manager many times and never seen a question mark next to RAID device or any device. Why has it suddenly decided to tell me this?

Phil

Only because the Asus boards can be totally retarted while posting.

Also, it may have been disabled before and your bios got reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom