Parts Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
im gonna go with a 3500 socket 939 clawhammer.
agp board because i have an agp card right now.
2x 160 gb ide hds(there on sale for 30 bucks)
512 ram(will upgrade QUICKLY)
integrated sound

i know its not that great but i have a budget and am gonna save up money to get another 3500 and a 6800 ultra or better when the dual core boards come out.

basically i want to know

1.what is the best agp board(probably abit)?
2.is it true that you can have TOO much ram?
3.is turtle beach better than soundblaster?
4when are the dual core boards coming out

whats the speed of the hds though? i wouldnt get them if they are 5400 or below, but if they are 7200+ then that sounds like a good deal, although the company might make bad drives and thats why they are on sale, and if part of the sale includes rebates........man my advice- dont trust rebates ive heard nothing but bad news about them.... and to answer your questions....

1. Abit is a great board for overclocking, i think asus has slightly higher benchmarks(non noticable though), and well MSI has a few good features since some of them have live update, a firewall, and ummmm.....i think dual lan.....

2.Thats a personal decision IMO, i think you can have too much RAM since at this point in time, you dont need much RAM, i think a gig will do very good for just about anything for awhile.....

3.Never heard of turtle beach, but i know if you get a soundblaster, they are good cards and you wont regret it.

4. well, i heard dual core is coming out rather soon....maybe out already, so uummm....i would THINK they would come out with mobos by this summer....

Hope I helped.

1. dont know much about mobos
2. Yes, u can have too much ram.. 1GB is plenty, 2GB Is Overkill, anymore you will probly slow down.
3. Soundblaster is the Thermaltake of SoundCards, as in they try n monopolise. Turtle beach are very nice cards n not only cheaper but reccomended by a lot of dj's, producers, etc.
4. Dual boards, same as #1 :p

dont know anything about turtle beach, or much about sound cards either. i hate monopolizing companies such as M$(macs dont run many programs, and cant be customised like a pc can, and linux although growing in popularity and may one day be a deadly rival to M$ for home computers, it needs emulators to rune windows programs and games which are less stable and you have to pay monthly for these emulators....) so i will look into this, see if its worth it, and then post a reply about it.

that's a really good deal, $40 for 160GB Western Digitals
Western Digital is one of the top brands out there. I personally prefer Seagate's and others will prefer WD, but for $40 I'd definately take them

with the motherboard, I would go with the Abit AV8 3rd eye, as you can really overclock with this thing.

also, what brand is the RAM?
I would suggest if you're on a budget, to even get Kingmax RAM. it is not very expensive, but one of the best I've seen when overclocking.
G.Skill RAM overclocks a lot more, but is also a lot mroe expensive

also, how much is this all going to cost?

its going to cost around 500 dollars. this is because i was planning on waiting for the dual core boards but my computer just broke so i need to build one right now.

i just overnighted a 3800 from newegg with a msi k8n neo2 platinum and bought the hds(they were only 40 bucks i was right) and a soundblaster 2 zs

Ugh, doesn't matter if it's cheaper, NEVER get rebates on anything. I have had lousy experience with best buy rebate program and rebates in general. It's a lot less hassle to find somewhere to give you the discount without rebates, or pay the extra money. I have filled out several rebate before and included everything it said to including upc and receipt. And then 5 weeks later they send me a postcard saying that I don't get my money because I failed to include the original UPC, even though I did include it. :(:(

:beard:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom