Setting up a two computer LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Melech

Beta member
Greetings,

I want to connect two computers to eachother so I can play multiplayer games with friends, without worrying about PK'ers, crackers, and idiots. I went to Best Buy and got a CAT6 cable, thinking all I needed to do is plug the two computers together and start playing. I was WRONG.

I went back to Best Buy and THEN they told me that I needed a "crossover cable" because the kind of cord I got needed a HUB and another cable. So I traded my cable for a crossover one. I then came home with the notion that all I needed was to plug the two computers together and to know eachother's IPs to play. Again, I was WRONG.

After struggling for hours on end in the Network Connections and calling around for people who might know, we (me and my friend) wasted the whole weekend when we could've been deathmatching in a Halo, Half-Life 2, and Postal 2 binge of all binges.

After searching for tutorials for the past few hours and finding nothing but looooooooooooong wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinded paaaaaaasaaaaaaageeeeeees, I come to you for a very simple, very short step-by-step instruction in the connecting two computers with one crossover cable. I'm talking so short that I could print the entire thing on one piece of paper.. thrice.

Any help will be appreciated. I mean it.

StrifeX said:
do u want it to be a wireless LAN or hard wire?

I'm attempting to connect via crossover CAT6, if that's any indication whether I'm using wireless or hard wire.

A crossover cable should simply plug into the two seperate computers, make sure the more powerful one (theoritically the server) has the internet connection.

Ohhh, I made a crossover cable a few weeks ago in one of my classes, good fun.

gaara said:
A crossover cable should simply plug into the two seperate computers, make sure the more powerful one (theoritically the server) has the internet connection.

I need an internet connection!?!?

leave the crossover cable alone and get a hub or router it's better. it simpler to configure. a router will let both computer to get internet at the same time. a hub will only do that if your ISP provider give you more than 1 ip address like WOW cable does. most isp only give you 1 ip though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom