Start menu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clem556

Baseband Member
How do I stop programs from starting up automatically when logging on. Example Quick time and messanger. I have to exit manually every time. I've looked in the help files but can't find it.

if your pc is 98/me/xp goto start -> run -> and type 'msconfig' without the quotes and when its open go to the startup or startup items tab and uncheck them. If you dont seem them go into the registry and in hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run and delete the items you want from there

WARNING: I, psychobrigade00, am not responsible for any undesired results caused in part or attributable to my above statements. They are recommended for users that are comfortable in their registry. Also NOTE: make sure to export your registry just in case for any reason you pc becomes unbootable after doing the above. to do this when the registry is open click on the word registry in the upper left and click on export and make sure to export the WHOLE registry to C:\

Yes, XP finally brought back the imfamous 'msconfig'!
However, if you are running Windows NT/2k then I recommend following the instructions above from psychobrigade00...but be careful when deleting from this key....if you are not sure of a string value in the registry that you are about to delete then do a search on google to find out what the .exe or file is used for...

-Michael

msconfig is good,
but most programs that load up on the icon tray u can just go into there options and disable it lol.
i know for sure quicktime u can do it.

Not all programers write programs that would allow a srting that would include them into the "system icon" tray so I would suggest going into the registry as suggested above. The registry can also be quite obvious....

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom