Graphical glitches!? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeed

In Runtime
Hey everyone,
I have a worrying problem which im hoping you can shed some light on. Over the past few days i have noticed graphical glitches when playing games, world of warcraft especially. Basically at any random point in time the graphics on screen will just scramble, or i can see large black lines blink on the screen, distorted colours and shapes. Last night I actually had a really serious occurence of this which actually locked my machine up and gave a horrific noise through my speakers, needless to say it was followed by a reboot. Upon the reboot i noticed strange sprites and colours appearing on my windows welcome screen and the main desktop also, so its not just when im playing graphic intensive games.

My system specs are what is shown in my signature area, the main worry i have is could it possible be my graphics card (BFG 6800 GT) which i have only had a few months. I am running the 66.93 (latest drivers) from the nvidia site.

I have run artifact tester 5.0 which showed no artifacts found, but i think it is an old program, maybe not meant for DX9.0. Honestly though im really not sure how to properly test my video card for faults, can someone post a link to a good tester?

I would really appreciate some descriptive answers here, i really need to sort this out.

I havent overclocked my graphics card, basically i have done nothing i can recall to possibly cause this.

Thanks heaps.

Those are what we call artifacts and your card is overheating. Send it back to BFG that kinda crap is unacceptable.

ok, so possibly my graphics card has a fault then? Is there diagnostic tools i can download to test for faults?

Also are their other possible causes for this, possibly my monitor, im really just chucking ideas in the air.

Im hating the idea of sending my graphics card back to BFG because I live in New Zealand, and its like $30US shipping each way just to get the card there and back.

I recommend you send it back as well. The same exact thing happened to me with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb, the screen turned all different colors and black lines and everything you've described. The card is just messed up. It's too late for me to send mine back because I've had it for so long, but you should send it back while you still have time to get your money back.

Go here to test your card for glitches:-

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

Dowload the Real-Time High Dynamic Light Range tool, let it run for a while on the highest settings your system can allow.

If you see any serious artifacts after like a few seconds of it running (and yes, it is very pretty to look at :) ) , then your GPU is indeed getting too hot by the sounds of it. If you run it in a windowed mode, make a note of your temps. My 6800 GT can get up to 91 Celcius and above :eek: , but I've never had these kind of problems before...

Hope it helps.

EDIT: You do have DirectX 9.0c installed, don't you?

Oh, and as ApM said there's new Forceware drivers out now, 66.93 were a waste of space IMO- I found I could never run any video file/DVD in fullscreen without playing around with my desktop's refresh rate...

Thanks,

I actually installed that software last night and gave it a go, i didnt really know what i was suppose to be doin with it though, but ill have another look tonight. So basically i turn the settings to max and just keep an eye out for artifacts, ill try monitoring the temps to. I am running DX9.0c.

Aside from the graphics card, what is the possibility of a faulty monitor?

You wouldnt get artifacts from a bad monitor. If the monitor was faulty then you would have refresh problems and things like that.

does someone have screenshots of what someone would expect to see when looking at artifacts? I just want to be sure it is an artifact problem. I have just upgraded to the latest drivers being 74.15? something like that. Im gonna do some tests tonight under a different monitor just in case it isnt an artifact problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom