computer hardware toolkit help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezurrectme

Baseband Member
Hi

I am looking to buy a computer repair toolkit that would include all kind of screwdrivers, antistatic band, and other miscellaneous things and I am not looking to spend a lot of money.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rez

Yeah, Get a

phillips head screwdriver, Non magnetic (magnets are death to computers)
Anti static band (though I never use them)
pill bottle filled with spare screws & jumpers.
roll of electral tape.

That's all I use.

lol why not magnetic?
my computer shop uses them and so do i when repairing ;)

i thought it was not good aswell but theres been no problems at the computer shop at all so i myself switched over.

Take a floppy disk, put a file on it and run a magnet over it. Then try reading the floppy again. You'll see why you don't want magnets around your computer.

Exactly. and dont try to move around too much when doing repairs. Static kills chips :(

A burnt chip. Haha(sorry, got carried away)

anyways, yeah dont use magnets around PC's

depends on the magnetic strenght of the screw driver. I use magnetic screwdrivers that are weak but have just enough strength to hold a screw and i have NEVER had a problem.

Well, yeah seems to be a lot of debate on magnetic screwdrivers...
LOL
Try buying a "Computer Repair Kit" with a magnetic screwdriver head.....I can't seem to find one. You really don't want to use one givin' the points above. Also, givin how MAGNECTIC HEADS on a drive (floppy or HDD) write to a drive.....there is no need to futher illistrate....
It's like walking through an array of charged power transformers...(sorry about the dramatic analogy, but I used to do this)..point is.....if you have credit cards in your wallet then it's better to leave them at the substation.
BROAD POINT (as I seem to dance around the subject)
DONT USE A DRIVER WITH A MAGNECTIC HEAD!!!!!!
Another analogy:
I don't use an anti-static band but it doesn't mean that I wont get the shi* shocked out of me....so why take the risk?

-Michael

but im so lazy to hold the screws to screw in a motherboard and stuff =/

oh well i still use magnetics ;)

hehehehe....you said "and stuff" hehehehehe

Ummmmmm.....dude....Don't risk it. Non-Magnetics are worth it.

-Michael

I use magnteic drives on things like installing the motherboard and floppy drives and optical drives. but not the hdd. As long as there is not current running though the boards when you are installing them there are no magnetic fields to disrupte. HDD have magnetized platters in them that could be affected by them. but even that is pretty safe as long as you do not have a very strong magnet like the ones found in HDDs. For fun hold a magnet briefly up to a CRT and see the rainbow. It will eventually go a way. but it will not affect the CRT if it is off because like i said there is no magnetic field running through them. And you should not put any screwdriver, magnetic or not on a part that has current running through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom