Deleting data does not affect space on HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

effectivenow

Beta member
Hi, this is my first post....let's see how good this forum is.

I did some backing up yesterday in means to free up some space on my hard drive. Most of these files were large directories and ISO's some as big as 5 gigs. I then noticed that this was not affecting the remaining disk space, as if I never removed them. So I did the following...

-empty the recycling bin
-reboot
-defrag all drives
-Norton disk doctor

The drive in question is not the operating system, it just a data and gaming drive. In the program files dir I read that there is 19.1 gigs of data and the other dirs consists of a 1 gig, but I only have 800 megs remaining out of 30 gigs total....so where's the other 10 gigs?

XP

Please help!!!

This so called "Virgin Techie" figured it out on his own...so for all you pros, this is the cause of my woes.

-If you're using Norton System Works, check the properties of your recycling bin, norton protects certain deleted files for a specified amount of time. So your bin may appear to be empty but its not! There's an option to protect or not to, and you may manually purge these files within the properties.

Thanks anyway, I shouldn't of given up so quickly.

Regards,
Eff...

Here is your answer
First create a new restore point (you know how right??)
then right click HD and select propreties then select clean then on advanced press remove all restore points but the last .
this should do it
Hey im also new to forums no one is answering my requests so im just upgrading my level so...

the norton protection bin is a recycle bin for the windows recycle bin. It is redundant and you can disable it by right clicking your trash bin and selecting properties from the contect menu. empty your norton bin before disabling norton bin protection on all drives.

Thanks again, but you haven't read my second post. I found out what the problem was....

-If you're using Norton System Works, check the properties of your recycling bin, norton protects certain deleted files for a specified amount of time. So your bin may appear to be empty but its not! There's an option to protect or not to, and you may manually purge these files within the properties.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom