CD-Rom drives "not ready" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
Hello, i am new here but i need help with my CD drives. I have a Gateway Performance from 2000. It has windows 98 2nd edition. It also has 128SDram and a 600mhz PIII. I have 2 CD drives. One is a DVD/CD drive and the other is a CD writer drive. I recently began to have issues with both. THey would sometimes work. Sometimes not. They would give me the "drive is not ready" error. Or sometimes, they would not appear in "My Computer" at all. The computer did not recognize them as being there. I have tried to contact gateway and they did not help much. They told me to reseat the cables which i did. I did this and it didn't help much. Now the drives are in My computer but do not work at all anymore. I get the "drive not ready" error everytime. I have tried everything i can. please help me

DARTHPARTH RETURNS AFTER A LONG TIME OF BEING AWAY

Anyway, i had that problem with my old comp. Turned out the DVD rom drive crapped out and died (luckily this was 1 week before warranty ended). i would take the drives out and try em on another comp. If they fail, its prolly the drives

It could be one of many things.

1. Try cleaning the lens of each drive
2. Make sure each cable is firmly in place in the mobo and drives. reset if you have to.
3. Are they both on the same cable?
4. dead drive

also could be a dead ide cable or a bent pin in the ide cable if they are both connected via the same cable. Also do the drives show up in the bios under ide information??

uhh....BI...OS??? i am a noob with stuff like that. how do i reset the drive? They don't spin up when i insert a disc so how can i clean them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom